Thread: Recomedations for Random orbital sander

Recomedations for Random orbital sander

Does anyone have recommendations for a ROS with that works well & had good dust collection? I have been using an old variable speed dewalt 5" sander (20 years old). It has been a great sander and the dust collection works very well with my Fein dust extractor. The started giving me problems, so I went and bout a new dewalt VS 5" sander. The sander works great, but the dust collection is terrible. It pulls most of the air around the outside of the disc, and not not pull a lot through the dust holes. If anyone knows of a good 5" sander to replace my dewalt I would greatly appreciate the recommendation. I have looked at festool, but am not ready to spend $400 on a sander.

I recommend you check out the Bosch ROS65VC. Very smooth (VC = Vibration Control), great onboard dust collection, and comes with an adapter for connection to a vac. You can buy it with either the 5" or 6" pad. I have both, but use the 6" pad 95% of the time because it gets more done and has better balance.

John

Well, if you want the best ROS for dustless sanding, then the Mirka range with Abranet mesh must be at the top of the list. I have a 6” Ceros, and it is outstanding ... and not just that it collects all the dust, but that it is so light and vibrasion-free. Now replaced by the Deros.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'll second that ros65vc-6 recommendation. It does a heck of a job for me capturing dust using abranet and the included filter (I never knew sanding could be fun). Dumping dust out is super easy compared to the bags most others use. The vibration control is great. Only thing about it is it's just pretty big, but I've still got my old 5" if I need something smaller.

Mirka also makes replacement pads for, at least one, of the Bosch ROS's. I have a 6" model, probably the next up from the one John linked. I put the mesh pad, and use the Mirka mesh disks on it. The dust collection, with just a ShopVac, is amazing. It's not cheap though. I think that model sander is pushing $300, but haven't looked lately.

Have any of you used the smaller bosh ROS20VSC?

I second John's recommendation of the Bosch ROS65VC sander. They are well-balanced and run really smoothly. I have the 5" model but either would be a great choice.

Regards,

Joe H.

I like my Festool for great dust collection, vibration and ergonomics.

Bosch really makes a good ROS, Had an older model, and it seemed to be going bad, and bought the ROS65vc, and am just amazed at how smooth the thing is. Used to need both hands on my sander, now with the new one only one hand is fine. After I got the new sander, took the old one apart, and was surprised at how well designed the old sander was. Turned out the bearing in the eccentric was dry, took it apart, cleaned it, oiled the bearing, put it back together and it worked fine. Could not stand to use it however, so gave it to a friend in need of a better sander.

One of the reasons I recommended the Abranet mesh is that these work so well with a half-decent dust collection system.

I do not do as much sanding as many here, preferring to finish with hand planes or card scrapers, but I do take sanding seriously when it is done. As a predominantly hand tool worker, I am especially aware of the difference between a planed finish and a sanded finish (I am probably going to get jumped on by many now! ).

For this reason, when I sand, the aim is to go to a high finish, generally 400 grit, to allow the grain to show through as much as possible. The finishes I use tend to work alongside this, rather than cover over the grain.

The point to make - and I am sure more experienced sanders here will want to comment - is that for clarity of surface grain, all sanding dust needs to removed as quickly as possible, otherwise it will create fine swirls in the surface. In other words, keeping it clean is more than about your lungs, but also about the final product.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Since I got an ROS65, I hardly ever use my old 5" Dewalt. The Bosch is so smooth and I like the 6" format much better. Dust collection is very good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Killingbeck View Post
    Have any of you used the smaller bosh ROS20VSC?

Yes. It's not a turkey; but it's not one of their better offerings.

You might tell us a bit more about how you use this sander in order to get a better rec. Is this an all around SUV type sander for you ? What other sanders do you have and use ? The Bosch 65 is a really good all arounder, but I wouldn't want it for rough sanding a weathered deck or flattening slabs. Nor would i want it for prepping or between coats on face frames - though it will certainly do both tasks.

Festool's small finish sander is a real gem for light tasks and is only $200. If you sold off the new carry case you could probably have a net cost of $125. But, it's a light weight only and you've got to use festool or compatible paper or net abrasive with an interface pad.

Budget would be a good piece of info to have too. You're not getting a Mirka anything without spending 500 bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Since I got an ROS65, I hardly ever use my old 5" Dewalt. The Bosch is so smooth and I like the 6" format much better. Dust collection is very good too.
    I also really like the 6"/150mm sanders I use...it's rare that I miss having the smaller 5" format which isn't all that smaller when you think about it. Of course, what one commonly uses them for matters in that respect. Primary factors for ROS for me are excellent dust collection and as little vibration as possible. (the latter is the reason I abandoned the inexpensive tools long ago...numb hands)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I really like my Bosch 1250DEVS. It has a "turbo" mode that removes material significantly faster. The ROM mode doesn't leave scratches I can see when I stop at 220 grit. It is a somewhat heavy 6 inch sander shaped like an angle grinder or polisher. I use it one handed a lot but you need a good sized hand, I suspect. The biggest reason I like it is the speed of me getting to the desired result is much quicker. I think the stroke on the orbits is 5mm. I believe bigger stroke = faster results.