Thread: ?What sandpaper for Shellac?

?What sandpaper for Shellac?

For years now I lightly sand the first 3 coats with 220 Garnet paper using a wood block, then switch to steel wool. Great results but the Garnet paper does load up quickly. Not that big an issue except on larger projects.

I'm preparing an abrasives order and thought I'd try some stearated for a change. Any downside to using it?

Blog Entries
    My reply was going to recommend Norton 3X abrasive sheets. Then after looking it up, Norton claims their stearate sheet "cuts faster and lasts longer than 3X technology."

My last pack of sandpaper was bought years ago, so my information might be out of date.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Bill, I denib shellac with grey mesh (400 grit equivalent).

Regards from Perth

Derek

You'll laugh at me, but I use a brown paper bag. Either one I cut up, or some of the same heavy brown paper that comes on rolls at the BORG. It works very well for me.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The first time I used stearated paper I was blown away at how well it worked. I only use this paper at the end of finishing as I worry about contamination issues if I have to apply more coats, this may not actually be an issue but I don't want to test my luck. I highly recommend stearated paper! I always rub out a shellac finish and start the process with this stearated paper.

I use 400 grit 3M open coat or Norton 3X paper. I usually don't have a problem with shellac loading paper, it tends to cut pretty cleanly and turn to dust. Any chance it is still a little gummy when you are sanding it?

I use 4-0 steel wool.

I use stearated sandpaper, either 600 or 800. Fine steel wool with mineral oil works if you're not going to follow with a water based finish.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks, all. I looked at that Norton 3X (name changed to Prosand) and it seems perfect. I wait overnight to sand so gummy isn't the issue.

You'll laugh but after completing a couple or nine coats, I pass a pad wetted with just the Alcohol over the finish as close as I can without actually touching it. I swear it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bill epstein View Post
    Thanks, all. I looked at that Norton 3X (name changed to Prosand) and it seems perfect. I wait overnight to sand so gummy isn't the issue.

You'll laugh but after completing a couple or nine coats, I pass a pad wetted with just the Alcohol over the finish as close as I can without actually touching it. I swear it makes a difference.
    No touching at all? I expected you to say a very light pass. Sure, I believe that it makes a difference.