Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anchor seal substitute?

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I chatted with Mike about his 'tree sealer'. He didn't give me a brand name other than just call it tree sealer. I googled that and came up with several products for sealing cuts on trees. Makes me wonder if mixing some Titebond and some laytex paint would work.... Would it be any better than just the Titebond?

robo hippy
    Tree sealing compound might be good for sealing blanks, especially since arborists no longer recommend using sealers on live trees.

Many thrift stores throw away used candles because these don't sell very good and take up shelf space. Ask a few stores to save used candles for a small donation. While you're there picking up the candles, look around for a used electric skillet welt the wax. Very carefully stick end grain into the melted wax (long enough to get the wood warm so the wax will stick). Try not to get the wax so hot that it can cause 2nd or 3rd degrees burns if it splashes. Also, do this outside or over a protective surface in order to keep any wax splatters off your shop floor.

If a turning is too difficult to coat with wax then I use AnchorSeal or School glue with a brush. Tip: Wait for back to school sales to find school glue at 10 Cents a bottle at Walmart.