Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This man saw it coming

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un just stated that the “Nuclear Button is on his desk at all times.” Will someone from his depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!
    I don't know, but whoever it was is a moron. If Kim's button is big enough to destroy the US, it really doesn't matter if that other person has an even larger button.

We currently have 5 times the amount of nuclear weapons we need to end life on earth, without even launching them. Blowing them up in their silos is good enough. So why are we building new weapons? 5 times isn't enough, we need an even larger button? No, that person is a moron; whoever he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    We currently have 5 times the amount of nuclear weapons we need to end life on earth, without even launching them. Blowing them up in their silos is good enough. So why are we building new weapons? 5 times isn't enough, we need an even larger button?
    Its only real meaning is that it is a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Its only real meaning is that it is a deterrent.
    Okay; how is it a deterrent? I know that is what people say, but I genuinely don't understand the concept. The Russians, Chinese, Koreans, Iranians, whoever, know we can kill them all without serious effort. Yes, it means starting a WW that will kill us also, but we can do it and still have most of our arsenal left over. How does adding an additional ballistic missile sub increase the deterrent?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Doug; who was it that tweeted the following;

North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un just stated that the “Nuclear Button is on his desk at all times.” Will someone from his depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!
    Stewie ,it was the USA President.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Okay; how is it a deterrent? I know that is what people say, but I genuinely don't understand the concept. The Russians, Chinese, Koreans, Iranians, whoever, know we can kill them all without serious effort. Yes, it means starting a WW that will kill us also, but we can do it and still have most of our arsenal left over. How does adding an additional ballistic missile sub increase the deterrent?
    Yeah I know it sounds crazy. This is what arms control negotiations are all about, toning the whole thing down. Of course it relies on rational actors.

I think Bill Gates was probably suggesting that the USA should have all the safety features that HIS place has. That would
    cost a bunch. But HE would feel even safer!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I think Bill Gates was probably suggesting that the USA should have all the safety features that HIS place has. That would
    cost a bunch. But HE would feel even safer!
    Let me get this straight; you're accusing the world's leading philanthropist of being self interested?

Man, this is a tough crowd.

Not accusing. Recognizing human strategy. Yes ,he is a good guy. Of course he has self interest ! There are things that can only be bought by government. We all have our own wish lists for what government should buy. I don't resent anyone
    saying he would like to have something he can not afford.

Wade, everyone has wondered why we have so many nukes. Government does not like to talk about it. They used to
    say it was needed because nukes had to be in lots of places to counter whatever was coming from any where.

Wade, the scenario you describe is why there is "tough talk" to those who threaten us. And it only works when you buy
    more arms than what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    If I hear one more of our leaders pat themselves on the back for how quickly and adeptly they reacted to this big unexpected and surprising situation I may go to bed and stay there for the duration
    Well Glenn, you might want to lay in supplies to be in bed thru the November election..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher