Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This man saw it coming

This man saw it coming

If you have 9 minutes to spare, listen to the pandemic warning given to the world in 2015 by Bill Gates in his Ted talk. He laid out the problem and the preparedness solutions succinctly.

When asked in a Q&A appearance on CNN the other night about how many of his recommendations from 2015 were adopted, he answered none. He estimated his preparedness steps would've cost in the tens of billions to fully implement. In a vacuum, yes this is a pretty big number, but in the context of the loss of life and economic damage we have and will suffer due to the Coronavirus pandemic, it's trivial.
    Fascinating to listen to this from the perspective of where we are today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Af6b_wyiwI

Disclaimer: I'm a massive Bill Gates fan. Sure he's a human being and probably has his flaws. Sure, there are people who are critics of Microsoft for one reason or another.
    But it's also a indisputable fact that he is the single most philanthropic human being that has ever walked the planet.
    Edwin

I'm a fan of Gates' philanthropy too. He's no angel, but the man is doing a lot of good.
    I'll watch this tomorrow. Thanks Edwin!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    If you have 9 minutes to spare, listen to the pandemic warning given to the world in 2015 by Bill Gates in his Ted talk. He laid out the problem and the preparedness solutions succinctly.

When asked in a Q&A appearance on CNN the other night about how many of his recommendations from 2015 were adopted, he answered none. He estimated his preparedness steps would've cost in the tens of billions to fully implement. In a vacuum, yes this is a pretty big number, but in the context of the loss of life and economic damage we have and will suffer due to the Coronavirus pandemic, it's trivial.
    Fascinating to listen to this from the perspective of where we are today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Af6b_wyiwI

Disclaimer: I'm a massive Bill Gates fan. Sure he's a human being and probably has his flaws. Sure, there are people who are critics of Microsoft for one reason or another.
    But it's also a indisputable fact that he is the single most philanthropic human being that has ever walked the planet.
    Edwin
    Serious respect to Bill Gates for giving that TED talk. But Serious People have been talking about this for decades. Preparedness plans were made, along with the follow-through, and then later ignorantly discarded. No one person, no matter how wealthy, can replace an all-out multi-governnmental commitment to battle something like we're experiencing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    ... But Serious People have been talking about this for decades. Preparedness plans were made, along with the follow-through, and then later ignorantly discarded. No one person, no matter how wealthy, can replace an all-out multi-governnmental commitment to battle something like we're experiencing right now.
    Absolutely true. Agencies involved in public health and emergency planning at all levels have been saying this for years.

He foresaw it because he reads Scientific Journals, and believes that Scientists have a better chance of being right, than simple minded politicians.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    He foresaw it because he reads Scientific Journals, and believes that Scientists have a better chance of being right, than simple minded politicians.
    Here on the Creek and on other sites with community discussions there are old posts/threads that pop up again when someone reads them and makes a reply. They are often referred to as "Zombie Posts or Zombie Threads."

The same happens in public thinking and are sometimes referred to as "Zombie Ideas."

Even if these ideas are clearly proven to be false, some people will cling to them claiming any evidence to the contrary is fake. If those holding on to these "Zombie Ideas" are the ones who wield or influence power, we may be governed by them. Until these "Zombie Ideas" can be expelled, we will continue to suffer from their influence.

Upton Sinclair said, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-29-2020 at 10:14 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am a retired Microsoft guy & worked close with BIll on many projects. He is by far the smartest person that I have ever met.

I was continually amazed at his breath & depth of knowledge. During my tenure I ran many projects & every few months I would sit down for a few hour review. He would know almost as much as I did about the topics. At that time the company had many other projects going on and he had the same level of knowledge on most.

Somehow the fact that he is extremely funny never made it to the public.

As an aside, this is the 20th anniversary of the release of Xbox. Microsoft hired a documentary film company to produce a film about the creation of it. I have spent many hours with the producers & directors. It has been a fun experience.

Blog Entries
    If I hear one more of our leaders pat themselves on the back for how quickly and adeptly they reacted to this big unexpected and surprising situation I may go to bed and stay there for the duration
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    If I hear one more of our leaders pat themselves on the back for how quickly and adeptly they reacted to this big unexpected and surprising situation I may go to bed and stay there for the duration
    You're a wee bit late, Mate!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Predicting pandemics is right up there with predicting that there will be earthquakes, drought, floods, or that the sun will rise. With the sun you can have more certainty with timing, but the certainty of the events happening remains the same-- 100% (short of an asteroid wiping out the planet, I guess). Our inability or unwillingness to plan for absolutely certain, high likelihood (ie very likely to occur once or more in most people's lifetimes), events astonishes me sometimes. I don't much fault people for not preparing for the earth-destroying asteroid, though it too is pretty certain to happen sometime in the next couple of billion years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Predicting pandemics is right up there with predicting that there will be earthquakes, drought, floods, or that the sun will rise. With the sun you can have more certainty with timing, but the certainty of the events happening remains the same-- 100% (short of an asteroid wiping out the planet, I guess). Our inability or unwillingness to plan for absolutely certain, high likelihood (ie very likely to occur once or more in most people's lifetimes), events astonishes me sometimes. I don't much fault people for not preparing for the earth-destroying asteroid, though it too is pretty certain to happen sometime in the next couple of billion years.
    Yes, predicting events is uncertain. Being prepared for events is simple planning using foresight of many possible situations.

Pandemics, earthquakes, droughts, floods and other disasters all require many of the same supplies to aid in recovery. A system of regional warehouses nationally could be used by the makers of these products for storage of an over supply that is regularly rotated. Then in time of need could fill in the holes in the system.

There should also be national disaster anti-profiteering legislation. It could be in the form of a 100% tax on margins above the price of a product before the disaster. Stores could also change pricing to first item or so many at 'sale' price, more at a ridiculous price. The collected taxes could go to disaster preparedness and relief.

There is much to be done to deal with our national disasters. We just need to have people brave enough to do it.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-29-2020 at 1:49 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Anyone who heard of SARS or Ebola should have seen it coming. We are just lucky it isn't as deadly as those two; and that those two weren't as contagious. Just a matter of time until one is both.

Anyone heard of EMP? If North Korea sets off a hydrogen bomb high over Nebraska, the electromagnetic pulse will burn out every transformer in North America. We will have NO electricity until it is repaired, and there is no way to repair it without electricity. So, quite literally, the United States is over. 250,000,000 will die in the next few months. Some Mormons and farmers will survive. No one disputes this, yet no one is willing to do anything about it. It will cost about $50B to harden the generators (less than the cost of a single carrier group or Trump's wall) but doing it won't get any votes from anyone, so it's not going to happen.
    Likewise, preparing for an epidemic would cost a lot of money, but not get any votes; so it wasn't done.
    We got royally burnt on the epidemic; is the EMP next?

I’m also a bill fan.

Thanks for sharing this.

Over there “you know” the other thread the point I was rally trying to make is outlined well by others above.

I’m just not so eloquent lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Anyone who heard of SARS or Ebola should have seen it coming. We are just lucky it isn't as deadly as those two; and that those two weren't as contagious. Just a matter of time until one is both.

Anyone heard of EMP? If North Korea sets off a hydrogen bomb high over Nebraska, the electromagnetic pulse will burn out every transformer in North America. We will have NO electricity until it is repaired, and there is no way to repair it without electricity. So, quite literally, the United States is over. 250,000,000 will die in the next few months. Some Mormons and farmers will survive. No one disputes this, yet no one is willing to do anything about it. It will cost about $50B to harden the generators (less than the cost of a single carrier group or Trump's wall) but doing it won't get any votes from anyone, so it's not going to happen.
    Likewise, preparing for an epidemic would cost a lot of money, but not get any votes; so it wasn't done.
    We got royally burnt on the epidemic; is the EMP next?
    This is DARK, so please stop reading now if you are easily upset.

Actually, nothing more than a small "ordinary" (i.e. non-hydrogen) nuclear weapon exploded at an altitude of 100 miles, just off the east coast (possibly launched from a ship) would kill off power to the whole Eastern Seaboard (and also most solid state devices that people use, such as in phones or cars.) This is how it would likely start. Nuclear non-proliferation please! Keep the nukes out of the hands of nutjobs. And buy a shortwave radio, and store it in a Faraday cage. It might be all you have left.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    This is DARK, so please stop reading now if you are easily upset.

Actually, nothing more than a small "ordinary" (i.e. non-hydrogen) nuclear weapon exploded at an altitude of 100 miles, just off the east coast (possibly launched from a ship) would kill off power to the whole Eastern Seaboard (and also most solid state devices that people use, such as in phones or cars.) This is how it would likely start. Nuclear non-proliferation please! Keep the nukes out of the hands of nutjobs. And buy a shortwave radio, and store it in a Faraday cage. It might be all you have left.
    Doug; who was it that tweeted the following;

North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un just stated that the “Nuclear Button is on his desk at all times.” Will someone from his depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!