Thread: Who wouldn't want this life?

Who wouldn't want this life?

Came across this short documentary of what is now a bygone era in Ireland, and almost everywhere. Hand tools, with some power tools.

Shot in 1988, but the people live and work closer to how they did in 1888 than to how people live nowadays. I found it enchanting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0meQiENR4zA&t=1150s

Wow, thanks for posting that and sharing.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Mark,

Wow, thank you. Very neat. A true craftsman.

Stew

I've watched a number of episodes from this series. Saddleman, Silversmith, Stone Cutter, Pipe Maker, and others. All very interesting.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Think about what they'd have to charge for that skiff to make a living nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    Think about what they'd have to charge for that skiff to make a living nowadays.
    Think about what they'd have to charge for a car to make a living.

In 1990 a fellow came who wanted me to make a desk for him. We looked some pictures and such, but when I gave him a price he said "Well, i can see that it would be worth that much, but I have to worry about stewardship [spending his money wisely]" At the time I was eager to make more desks and would be embarrassed to say what price I gave him.

As he pulled out of my drive I thought "That van cost a pretty good multiple of my desk price, but it will be junk in 12 years. I would make a desk that would be something that his grandson would not wear out."

I told this story for a number of years and in 2004 I realized it had been 14 years and I thought to inquire about that fine van he had. I called him up. He remembered me and the desk discussion and he remembered the van. However, he could not remember what happened to the van. He even asked his wife " Did we sell it? Did we trade it in? Did we junk it?" Nobody knows.