Thread: Stanley 71 blades

Stanley 71 blades

I picked up a 71 at a antique mall for $34.00. who ever had it before me ground the blade to a 45 degrees and there not enough steel left to correct it. Been looking on the bay and these people have lose their minds. The asking price for the blades are from $36.00 to over $50.00 i could under stand if it was a Hock.
    Does anyone know of a alternate? Does anybody make a reproduction? I know Lee Valley won't fit its too tall.

Blog Entries
    I know Lee Valley won't fit its too tall.
    There may be a couple of ways to nullify your statement.

One is to turn the adjuster nut upside down. This adds a bit of height for the taller blade.

Second is to add a thin wood base. This actually makes the base less likely to mar the work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have MADE my own cutters....using Allen wrenches as a starting point...
    Stanley 71 cutters, blank.JPG
    grinding, dunk in a cup of water, grind a bit more, dunk again...
    Stanley 71 cutters, fix the old.JPG
    I used a Dremel to cut the notch. Also cut things to length...as I had an OEM 1/2" cutter as a pattern..
    Stanley 71 cutters, notch and shaped.JPG
    On the narrow 1/4" cutter, I had to neck things down...Allen wrench was a 5/16"...
    Stanley 71 cutters, sharpening started.JPG
    Then sharpen to about a 30 degree bevel....and put it to work....
    Stanley 71 cutters, test drive.JPG
    Mine is a Stanley No. 71-1/2....takes the same cutters as the 71....I paid just under $55 for the plane and parts to rehab it...Allen wrenches I had....I did make a case to store mine in..
    Stanley 71 cutters, all 3 done.JPG
    case closed?
    Stanley 71 cutters, close the lid.JPG

You MIGHT see what old Allen wrenches you have.....hex shafts need to be ground into a square section...with one corner of the square fitting into the V groove for the cutter on the plane...opposite corner with then point out towards the cutting edge.

I though about using Allen wrenches, just trying to see whats out there.

Jim
    There may be a couple of ways to nullify your statement.

One is to turn the adjuster nut upside down. This adds a bit of height for the taller blade.

Second is to add a thin wood base. This actually makes the base less likely to mar the work.

I have a lee valley 1/4" blade, even with the nut turned upside down the blade is still too tall, though about cutting a new notch in it, but don't have a small grinding wheel. But i haven't though about adding a base that may work. Thanks

Blog Entries
    But i haven't though about adding a base that may work. Thanks
    You are welcome.

My base is about a quarter inch thick, ymmv.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Flowers View Post
    I picked up a 71 at a antique mall for $34.00. who ever had it before me ground the blade to a 45 degrees and there not enough steel left to correct it. Been looking on the bay and these people have lose their minds. The asking price for the blades are from $36.00 to over $50.00 i could under stand if it was a Hock.
    Does anyone know of a alternate? Does anybody make a reproduction? I know Lee Valley won't fit its too tall.

The Lee Valley blades will fit (with the height adjustment nut inverted) and they designed their router plane for this exact scenario.

1/2" straight is $17 with free shipping. You can't go wrong.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I have a lee valley V blade in my router right now. No other adjustments besides flipping the adjuster nut.

My 71 fits Veritas blades with the adjuster nut upside down. The 71 is from the 50's so perhaps that makes a difference.