Thread: COVID-19 Map

COVID-19 Map

Here is a map that the university close to me developed. When it first debuted it was only for Illinois and the collar counties in adjoining states. But a few days ago they added all the states. It allows you to zero in on your area and see the statistics. Hope you find it of benefit.

https://wiu-gis-center.maps.arcgis.c...e07266f96e0f70

Thanks. I see a double-click zooms into an area. How do you zoom out? There are +/- buttons at the bottom right of the map when the page first loads but they disappear when the map graphical data appears. Win 10, Firefox.

JKJ

I zoom in and out with the scroll button on my mouse. If you don't have/use a mouse I'm unsure. On my phone the "pinch" works.

Blog Entries
    Any way to change the base state?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Thanks. I see a double-click zooms into an area. How do you zoom out? There are +/- buttons at the bottom right of the map when the page first loads but they disappear when the map graphical data appears. Win 10, Firefox.

JKJ
    The scroll wheel on my mouse allowed zooming in and out.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-28-2020 at 5:16 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee I don't think so at this time. However it's a work in progress so that might be something that they implement going forward. Since they are based in Illinois that's "home base" for them. I think this is the only map of it's type. They have a department that just does this and does projects for pay as well as public benefit like this. One thing I have noticed is we are rapidly approaching half the counties in the state with at least 1 confirmed case. It's growing exponentially here and many other places. It's unknown yet whether stay in place sheltering and social distancing is making a difference. It almost has to be but the fact you can be a carrier and spreading it before you have symptoms is the scarier part in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Any way to change the base state?

The scroll wheel on my mouse allowed zooming in and out.
    Try going to your state health departments website.
    Here's Florida.
    https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/op...2a615dc7837c86
    Looks awfully similar to the OP's site and I've been using the FL site for weeks.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    Try going to your state health departments website.
    Here's Florida.
    https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/op...2a615dc7837c86
    Looks awfully similar to the OP's site and I've been using the FL site for weeks.
    Which is quite possible. I would think every state would have something. This however allows an over view of the whole country which gives a good indication of what's happening. Keep yourself informed and it will hopefully help you stay ahead of the monster at least for a while. View everyone as a carrier and keep your separation and wash your hands frequently.

Microsoft Edge using the standard "Start Page" has a hot button for Corona Virus. Located there is an interactive map of the world. Selecting United States will display a map of the US with the individual states outlined. Hovering over a state will display it's confirmed cases, deaths, recoveries. When you select "United States" another window opens up allow you to select a specific state where you'll find the stats and a map of the selected state with the counties entered. Again, hovering over a specific county will give you the county's stats.

Nez Perce County, Idaho where we live has 4 confirmed infections with 1 death in a person over 80 with normal underlying health issues seen in aging persons.

After I posted this it was posted on FB by our local newspaper that Tri-State Hospital, Clarkston, WA (Just across the Snake River from Lewiston, ID) had 2 Nez Perce County Idaho residents die today, both in their 90s. So even being in a sparsely populated area is no guarantee of safety from this virus!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-28-2020 at 9:57 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That is just a clone or borrowed from the map on Johns Hopkins' site

It is updated every few minutes or hours. Not a pretty picture.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
    Last edited by Perry Hilbert Jr; 03-28-2020 at 9:02 PM.

They are both outdated. They show no cases in Yates County NY. News reported one yesterday.

To be fair I checked the NYS website and they show zero also; so maybe the news is wrong or the state hasn't heard about it yet.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 03-30-2020 at 3:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    They are both outdated. They show no cases in Yates County NY. News reported one yesterday.

To be fair I checked the NYS website and they show zero also; so maybe the news is wrong or the state hasn't heard about it yet.
    We found a significant lag in local and national reporting. To make it harder, we've heard about local county cases on the news which never showed up in the "official" county data from our state. We don't know, but my Lovely Bride thinks that the official reporting channels may be assigning the case to the person's county of residence, not the place where the person worked or even the hospital where they were tested or treated.

Location ambiguity could cause some confusion. And are "they" counting some twice and some not at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post

Working in a hospital and knowing about the real cases the news has been incorrect multiple time.
    I wouldn't trust the news.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8