Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Record

Broken Record

I know broken record and all that rot but guys if you do not have a portable bench you are making work for yourself. I'm home doing the "remain in place," self isolation," or whatever you want to call it thing. Of course MsBubba is rubbing her hands with joy. You should see the "to do" list she has on the kitchen counter.

On to the broken record.

I've one of the portable Moravian benches set up in the back garden to work on, it took less than 5 minutes to move from its storage place and set up. Now for the duration I've a functional, stable workbench to use as needed. I know, I know, you have heard it before but it is too easy to set up and use not to have one for use around the house.

poetableBenchInBackGarden.jpg

After the door repair, it is on to cleaning up and re-painting kitchen cabinets. Hopefully I can find a few moments to work on the latest chair build someplace around the to-do list. Speaking of chairs, I just received a Cherry American Welsh Stick chair from CS. It is a thing of beauty.

ken

Ken, the bench looks great! I put lift castors on mine. Unless it's on a dead level floor I've found castors to be "meh".

I have my tool chest on castors. That's been great for me. The environment, even in our single garage can change quickly.

I'd like to try a bench like yours but have no plans to build one yet. So many other jobs such as DIY get in the way!

Ken,

I too am on a "remain in place" sort of thing. My wife and I are both old enough that we are mildly at risk, not like the much older folks, but more so than the younger folks, so we are staying at home. The plant sent me home a week ago Wednesday with a mild cough (it was allergy related, but no matter, home I went,) and then that afternoon they sent everyone that wasn't absolutely essential to production or shipping home....corporate directive. I think the company is doing a wise thing in sending every one home that is possible. We have been advised to stay home and maintain social distances...hand wash well, etc. Thus, I have been doing work on my lab applied research records, etc. at home on a loaner company lap top until this blows over.

On my time off, after work hours, and on Saturday I am working on sprucing up tools, yesterday it was flattening chisel backs, today it has been rehabbing a combination plane that came to the house just a few months ago, currently cleaning it up and metal polishing.

That gets a little old after a while so I decided to take a break, reading the Neander bulletin board when I saw your post. The handiness of that bench appeals every time you put a picture up and mention how easily it stores and sets up.

Every time I see it I think, "what a handy bench, and what a very capable bench." Some day I will have one, Lord willing. Great bench, and a great reminder. I appreciate the photo. My plan it to use a bench screw that was my grandfathers and a crisscross to make a leg vise.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-28-2020 at 5:05 PM.

Ken, I heard a friend saw a juvenile western diamondback three weeks ago. He's a former park ranger who now does pest control so he knows 'em when he sees 'em. Seems a little early but I guess it's been a mild winter everywhere. I've seen you wearing sandals in the shop. It's easy to become forgetful about where you put your feet. Best case a rattlesnake bite will ruin your day. Here's the pic he sent me of it. If anyone is interested a client of his went out and opened the storage door under her grill. This little guy was sitting there. I could imagine his mama sitting inside that storage area when she reached a hand in there to grab something. It happens. FWIW, he relocated it to a pack rat mound. :0)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 03-28-2020 at 5:37 PM.

Love that Moravian Ken!

Mike, that woulda scared the bejesus outta me!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Love that Moravian Ken!

Mike, that woulda scared the bejesus outta me!
    Yeah, that'll grab your attention!

I should have made it clear my friend lives in Tucson.

Seeing rattlesnakes cleans the cholesterol out of your heart. Good stuff!
    David

Yeah guys this is the time of year the rattlesnakes come out of their dens. If you have pack rats you will have rattle snakes, kinda like if you have crickets you will have scorpions. Last year we found a small one under MsBubba's wheel in her studio. As I've said before, in the desert everything either bites, sticks, or stings. It ain't easy living. BTW, thanks for the reminder I have to warn MsBubba to be careful.

ken

That is one (of many) good things about the harsh winters in MN, no rattlesnakes, scorpions, poisonous spiders, or termites.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    That is one (of many) good things about the harsh winters in MN, no rattlesnakes, scorpions, poisonous spiders, or termites.
    Andrew,

You haven't lived unless you have walked into the kitchen to make morning coffee only to be greeted by a tarantula about the size of a dinner plate in the middle of the kitchen floor. It does jump start your morning. Truth is they are harmless but knowing that doesn't stop the startle effect.

ken

Scorpions dropping onto the master bed from the light fixture above the bed will also clean the cholesterol out of the heart. After that event (many, many years ago), I caulked the devil out of all light fixtures in the ceilings of the one story house with an attic (scorpion apartments) above.
    David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    I know broken record and all that rot but guys if you do not have a portable bench you are making work for yourself. I'm home doing the "remain in place," self isolation," or whatever you want to call it thing. Of course MsBubba is rubbing her hands with joy. You should see the "to do" list she has on the kitchen counter.

On to the broken record.

I've one of the portable Moravian benches set up in the back garden to work on, it took less than 5 minutes to move from its storage place and set up. Now for the duration I've a functional, stable workbench to use as needed. I know, I know, you have heard it before but it is too easy to set up and use not to have one for use around the house.

poetableBenchInBackGarden.jpg

After the door repair, it is on to cleaning up and re-painting kitchen cabinets. Hopefully I can find a few moments to work on the latest chair build someplace around the to-do list. Speaking of chairs, I just received a Cherry American Welsh Stick chair from CS. It is a thing of beauty.

ken
    Ken, I'm totally sold on the value of a portable workbench - I can see how would be super helpful for projects beyond the shop. Couple questions to push me over the build edge. I apologize in advance I'm know your previous posts have covered these questions but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to find them:

1) How heavy is your Monrovian bench and how do you move it? Do you pick it up and carry, put on a dolly, call in reinforcements, break it down into small enough pieces to move easily?

2) Where is the best source to get build plans etc.?

Thanks and best wishes staying safe from both visible and invisible toxic pests!

Cheers, Mike

Mike - There is a will Myers video somewhere on You Tube that shows Will setting up the broken-down-into-individual-pieces into the complete bench in a minute without looking like he is racing a clock. Each piece is small/light enough to easily carry. As to the best set of plans, not sure, but I believe Will Myers does have a video out on building one. I enjoy his build instruction style.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Ken, I'm totally sold on the value of a portable workbench - I can see how would be super helpful for projects beyond the shop. Couple questions to push me over the build edge. I apologize in advance I'm know your previous posts have covered these questions but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to find them:

1) How heavy is your Monrovian bench and how do you move it? Do you pick it up and carry, put on a dolly, call in reinforcements, break it down into small enough pieces to move easily?

2) Where is the best source to get build plans etc.?

Thanks and best wishes staying safe from both visible and invisible toxic pests!

Cheers, Mike
    Mike,

This bench, when not in use, is broken down into 7 modules and stored in a corner of the shop. My guess is no module weights more than 40 lbs and is easy to move by this old fart.

As David posted, the Will Myers videos are the best I've found and his putting it together video is a hoot. I usually say it takes 5 minutes to set up but that is removing it from its corner carrying to where I want it and then putting together.

The bench is easily scalable to make the size you want, mine range from a full size shop bench to this easily portable one.

Take care and stay safe, I'm still looking for tacos and beer once this mess is over.

ken

Mike,

I just want to add, the original bench design and build was brilliant. One of the best things Will did was follow the original build. Even though I questioned some of the joints used on the first build I went along and being a little slow it took a couple of builds and using the bench to figure out just how good and how smart the original bench was.

I don't know if you remember the reason for my first build was to make a portable bench for the motorhome and it was only after working on that original bench (now my sharpening bench) that I became a fan boy.

ken