Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Thinking of getting a 2nd lathe

  1. #1

    Thinking of getting a 2nd lathe

    I've been mulling over the notion of getting a 2nd lathe, a smaller one to do more intricate projects and to be honest with myself also because I really would like a Vicmarc lathe. The Oneway 2436 that I have now has been great and I have no desire to replace it with anything else. I don't know what it is about the Aussie lathe, they just seem so well made. Anyone else in a similar predicament? Any comments or suggestions on a small Vicmarc lathe?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    9,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I've been mulling over the notion of getting a 2nd lathe, a smaller one to do more intricate projects and to be honest with myself also because I really would like a Vicmarc lathe. The Oneway 2436 that I have now has been great and I have no desire to replace it with anything else. I don't know what it is about the Aussie lathe, they just seem so well made. Anyone else in a similar predicament? Any comments or suggestions on a small Vicmarc lathe?
    My only comment on a second lathe is to think about gettin one with the same spindle thread as the primary lathe so accessories like chucks can be swapped easily. Both lathes I keep in the shop are the same thread.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    1,668
    Only a second? I have 7. Oneway 2436, Jet 10"mini converted to a rose engine, jet 10" mini for buffing station, Jet 1642 as a backup machine, Delta 46-460, Hapfo 16' copy lathe, and an antique treadle lathe. Not bragging, but I've been doing this for 35 years.

  4. #4
    John - Good point. I didn't consider matching the spindle threading.

    Richard - Yikes! I'd have to build another shop or addition for that herd.

  5. #5
    Doing a little checking to John's point, it seems not all manufacturers have M33 x 3.5 spindle threads (same as my Oneway 2436) for their small lathes. Fortunately Vicmarc does with their VL150 SM EVS. Not long ago there were a lot of these machines available at auction. Unfortunately I can't find any now.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    1,336
    Regarding wanting to re-use your chucks and accessories: take a look at what adapters are available to convert from the Vicmark (or whatever other lathe you're considering) to the M33 x 3.5 accessories. There are a handful of companies that make them and if they are reasonably well made they shouldn't add any troublesome amount of runout.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Regarding wanting to re-use your chucks and accessories: take a look at what adapters are available to convert from the Vicmark (or whatever other lathe you're considering) to the M33 x 3.5 accessories. There are a handful of companies that make them and if they are reasonably well made they shouldn't add any troublesome amount of runout.

    Most of my chucks are direct thread M33x1.5 so the adapter would have to be in the opposite orientation to what's normally available. In other words the adapter would have to be 1 1/4" female to M33 male for a 1 1/4" spindle if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to check if this type of adapter is available.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    9,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Regarding wanting to re-use your chucks and accessories: take a look at what adapters are available to convert from the Vicmark (or whatever other lathe you're considering) to the M33 x 3.5 accessories. There are a handful of companies that make them and if they are reasonably well made they shouldn't add any troublesome amount of runout.
    For me, changing the adapter to use a chuck on the second lathe would be undesirable. I do change the adapter when I want to use a chuck when I set up one of my smaller lathes but that's rare. It may depend on how often you use the second lathe and how many chucks you have.

    I am handicapped with just 19 chucks. For me, changing chuck jaws is also undesirable.

    JKJ

  9. #9
    I now have two lathes. My original lathe has a 1"x8tpi spindle; my sweet new lathe has a 1-1/4"x8tpi spindle. I got a spindle adapter from Best Wood Tools to convert my 1x8 to a 1-1/4x8 -- the spindle adapter also has a #2 morse taper socket so I don't need to take the spindle adapter off the lathe to use drive centers or other MT accessories. I replaced the 1x8 chuck adapters in my Oneway and Talon chucks with 1-1/4x8 chuck adapters.

    (JKJ, I think Brice Rogers was talking about spindle adapters rather than chuck adapters....)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    9,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Thorpe Allen View Post

    (JKJ, I think Brice Rogers was talking about spindle adapters rather than chuck adapters....)
    Ah, thanks, that makes sense, I was thinking about what is often called an insert/adapter or simply an insert. A spindle adapter should work if well machined with no runout and mounted with care. I have not used one but people have told of problems, perhaps with a damaged or poorly made adapter.

    I would be more concerned with using one on a heavy, unbalanced load since the mass would be further from the support, possibly stressing the spindle or bearings. (especially with a big catch!) But that is less likely when the secondary lathe is the smaller one and mostly used for smaller turnings.

    JKJ

  11. I have four lathes currently set up. I hate changing tooling around. One set for turning between centers, another with a standard chuck, a third with cole jaws. A fourth small lathe for really fine small work. My tools are in a rolling cart that easily pushes the few feet to the next lathe. Three main lathes are all the same spindle size.

    The one is used primarily to round off rough stock and cut tennons for the next lathe. Some days I only have a few minutes, so I might just round off a few pieces for spindle turning in the future. I get 3x3 cut offs from a pallet making operation in poplar and some other woods. Stack them to air dry in the barn and turning them round only takes a few minutes each. great size for making small boxes, etc.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Thorpe Allen View Post
    I now have two lathes. My original lathe has a 1"x8tpi spindle; my sweet new lathe has a 1-1/4"x8tpi spindle. I got a spindle adapter from Best Wood Tools to convert my 1x8 to a 1-1/4x8 -- the spindle adapter also has a #2 morse taper socket so I don't need to take the spindle adapter off the lathe to use drive centers or other MT accessories. I replaced the 1x8 chuck adapters in my Oneway and Talon chucks with 1-1/4x8 chuck adapters.

    (JKJ, I think Brice Rogers was talking about spindle adapters rather than chuck adapters....)
    Thanks for the heads up on the spindle adapters from Best Wood Tools. They even have M33x1.5mm adapters with or without a thru hole/#2 Morse Taper. My preference would still be the correct spindle size but it's good to know that there's an option. I've reached out to Oneway to find out if they would provide a M33x1.5mm spindle on their #1224 lathe (my second choice). It doesn't show that as an option online. I also contacted 2 US distributors for Vicmarc to find out the availability of the VM150 (my first choice). Woodworkers Emporium in Las Vegas and Craft Supplies do not list them as available.

    Come to think of it I actually have the tools to make my own spindle adapter. My machining skills would be the only thing holding me back. It might make for an interesting project if it comes to needing one. Does anyone know if the adapters are hardened or just plain mild steel.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 03-29-2020 at 11:45 AM.

  13. #13
    I bought a mini lathe years ago, specifically for turning threaded boxes, which was part of the 'cost' of a Bonnie Klein class on threaded boxes, and of course included the threading machine. I almost never use it. I do need to get back to making some threaded boxes, if for no other reason, they are fun. Besides that I have an American Beauty, a Robust Liberty which is no longer made, and a Vic 240. I want to have play dates in my shop...

    robo hippy

  14. #14
    Oneway just informed me that they do not have a M33x1.5mm option for their 1224 lathe but they also have spindle adapters. This doesn't seem to be as big of a deal as originally thought.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    1,336
    To answer Steve Mathews, neither my spindle nor my spindle adapter is hardened. My previous lathe (with a different spindle size) - - both were NOT hardened either. Also, on my Clausing/Atlas metal lathe the spindle is not hardened and my two metal chucks are not hardened either.

    I have noticed that hardened parts don't seem to lock together very well. For example, I have a snap spring punch with a hardened tip. The tip continuously wants to unscrew.

    I bought a cheap (~ $10-15) adapter (1-1/4 to 1") from Griz. They stock two in that size - - the other one is around $30-35. I don't detect any runout on the cheap one, although I haven't put a dial indicator on it. It adds about 1-1/2 to 2" to the length of the spindle. That is both a benefit and as JKJ mentioned, a potential drawback. The benefit is that it give me a little more room to position my banjo and tool rest for working from the headstock side. So, I am very pleased with my spindle adapter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •