Thread: Other Leg vise options

Other Leg vise options

I started this because I didn't want to detract from Jim's post.

My leg vise uses a criss cross system made out of wood. My actual cost to make it was the wood cost and 3 (3/8 bolts) long enough so I could cut off the head and threads and just use the body for a pin. The criss cross carries the weight of the leg vise, so the vise screw turns open and close with a couple of fingers. If you glue up the table leg and the leg vise with a little for thought you do not even have to mortise for the criss cross.

Since the criss cross takes the weight and keeps every thing straight I think that a tail vise screw from Lee Valley for $41.50 will work for the vise screw. As you can see in the picture I used a shoulder vise screw again from Lee Valley ( was $28 when I got mine, now it is $32.50 ) for the wagon vise screw and right now there is free shipping.

The first picture is with the leg vise screw during construction. The second picture is with the leg open, and with the shoulder screw laying on the top, and with holes in the side for holdfasts. The third is with the bench finished.

DSC03251.JPG DSC03253.JPG DSC03417.JPG
    Tom

That’s beautiful Tom how much do you think it weighs.

The top weights over 300 pounds and the bottom, all total, probably another 300 pounds. I got the wrong picture in the attached thumbnail and I do not know how to get rid of it.

DSC03414.JPG DSC03423.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Bussey; 03-28-2020 at 4:54 PM.
    Tom

That bench is a work of beauty.