Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planer dust/shavings collection

Planer dust/shavings collection

When I designed my new shop I put an outlet for my 15” Powermatic next to the outside door so I can roll it outside when the weather is nice and sweep up shavings later to burn in wood stove.

Dust collection in a bin (which is below in the basement) doesn’t work well for me as I can fill it up three times just preparing wood for a new boat or other project. Using a ClearVu 1800 w 16” impeller.

My problem is the outflow chute of the planer gets clogged fairly quickly. This requires me to shut down, unplug, and clear. Otherwise the shavings seem to cover the bed and workpiece and affect planing quality & performance.

Thinking about a second mobile DC just for the planer. Appreciate any advice.

Thx. Jon

A dedicated DC may be your best solution here, Jon. You really do need to keep the machine bed clear of debris as the WILL affect the quality of the surface of the material you're processing, not to mention "gum up the works" and cause you more work. Maybe you can scarf up a good used machine to use with a short hose for dedicated assignment to your planer. There's always the good old Harbor Freight "2hp" blower that would be fine for this as long as you put higher quality bags on it. I think there is none among us who don't make the mistake of greatly underestimating just how much "stuff" gets created when face jointing and thickness planing material and some species are "really fluffy" or come off very stringy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Why not just get a good sized blower/fan (like a drum-top chip extractor) and blow the chips into a box/bin or a trailer or some other large container. That would give you the suction to clear the port on the hood of the machine but you dont need all the other bits unless you are wanting to bag your chips.

Planers are a nightmare with 55 gallon drum DC's. As you say, you spend more time emptying the DC than you do surfacing material especially if its something that makes good sized fluffy chips.

Something like this (ditch the drum and just use the blower)
    https://www.irsauctions.com/popups/p...QVPK7&id=23314

Great idea Mark. Anyone with an idea of a good blower option?

something like this work?
    https://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworki.../dp/B01CU7DKTI

or this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GJGMP2..._t1_B01CU7DKTI.

not really clear how connections would work or if Marks auction link would work if bin is removed.
    Last edited by Jon Snider; 03-28-2020 at 11:56 AM.

The units in you links wont cut it for a planer. You will need a good sized fan to move enough air to keep the head of the machine clear. I have several of those drum top units bought at auction (they usually go for 50-100 bucks if you can find an auction close to you).

Im not sure about the horror freight level stuff but many here would likely be able to tell you if they have a transfer fan/blower that will actually move air. Most of their stuff is marginal at best.

For the drum top units its simple to remove the lid portion that sits on the drum and just attach a duct pipe to the inlet side (drum side) then pipe the outlet however you need.

Do have a budget for this ? Maybe look for an old 1.5 HP Delta , Grizzly , Jet , etc. DC . If you decide to go the DIY route , I'd stay above 4" with the duct's and hoses . Don't want clogging issue's . How elaborate do you want to get ?

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    How elaborate do you want to get ?
    Just want to get it out of the chute and onto driveway.

Mark and others.

Although lots more than I want to spend, would something like this work, without attaching a barrel or bag? Looks pretty much just like the auction link.

https://www.amazon.com/Cincinnati-Fa.../dp/B00Y7Y0BCW.

Id think you could find a fan without a motor even from someplace like Granger and a used 3HP motor for way less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    Mark and others.

Although lots more than I want to spend, would something like this work, without attaching a barrel or bag? Looks pretty much just like the auction link.

https://www.amazon.com/Cincinnati-Fa.../dp/B00Y7Y0BCW.
    Ykes! Holy Expensive, Batman!

Just get a used "name brand 1.5hp DC or the Harbor Freight 2hp doo-jobbie and set it up as a straight blower with hose on the inlet side for the machine and a slightly larger diameter duct/hose on the outfeed side that heads to your dump location. It will work fine. You can do this for a few hundred dollars. Used units are not uncommon on the various sale sites, such as Craig's List and Facebook Marketplace.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Is your Powermatic a new planer? My Grizzly 15" has never plugged up, and collects easier than any other machine I have. Wonder if there might still be some packing under your dust hood, as Grizzly planers have had problems with.

Jim A. It’s about 12-15 years old.

Jim B. Are you referring to a name brand unit w a cyclone. Or are there other low cost models, other than HF, of which I’m not aware? Thx again.

I would do it the other way round. Run only clean air through the blower then inject the pressurized air into the exhaust duct in a venturi situation to create a vacuum and blow the chips out. This is how they do the chip extraction of the big diesel tree chippers.
    Bil lD

I had a 1 HP Jet with a canister filter and one of those garbage can preseperator for my 15" Grizzly planer. I can tell you that it could not keep up with 12" wide white pine. There wasn't quite enough suction and the dust chute would clog up as you mention and often the chips would get pressed into the board. Even when it did work, the garbage can was filled after a few 16' boards.

Pine was the worst probably because the chips were gummy and staticky. Oak would work sometimes OK. I ended up removing the dust chute completely and throwing the chips on the floor. Not the best solution, but at least it was workable. The problem went away when I got a 3HP Oneida cyclone. Even with that, I need to check the drum often when I am planing a large amount of material.

Not only do you jam up the planer head with chips only once, but you only jam the cyclone up with chips once
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 03-29-2020 at 2:06 PM.