Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planer dust/shavings collection

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post

Jim B. Are you referring to a name brand unit w a cyclone. Or are there other low cost models, other than HF, of which I’m not aware? Thx again.
    I"m suggesting to just take a typical 1.5 or 2hp "bag" type DC and strip the blower off of it to suit your need. No cyclone (which must be used with a sealed bin. The blower is what you need to do what you want to do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I"m suggesting to just take a typical 1.5 or 2hp "bag" type DC and strip the blower off of it to suit your need. No cyclone (which must be used with a sealed bin. The blower is what you need to do what you want to do.
    Jim. Sorry to be so obtuse. I’ve no experience with this type of DC. Something like this?
    https://www.amazon.com/Central-Machi.../dp/B006ZBAGWA.

Yup...the blower part is what you need....the bags get abandoned for your particular use. You need that to move air which in turn moves the chips. You need that plus enough of the appropriate hose to do the job. Powertek from Amazon is really nice hose for the money...get the blower first so you can be sure of what size is required for both inlet and outlet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I believe that having the dust collector situated as close to the major chip/dust generators will help in collection and effectiveness. My jointer/planer machine is the closest machine to the dust collector, since it generates more chips than any other machine in the shop. Shorter duct runs with minimal use of flex hose also helps.

Jon, the first thing I would do is increase the planer hood outlet to 5 inches, or 6 if your new blower has a 6 inch inlet.

If all you want to do is blow the dust outside then as Jim mentioned, a 1.5 to 2 HP cheap collector without filter should do the trick, just remember to make your square to round adapter as smooth and tapered as possible......Regards, Rod.

Jon,

I have been doing what Jim has suggested to you for decades. The only difference is that I blow the chips into a large open chip box. My Grizzly DC is a 1.5 hp unit that without the bags or any filters will move chips from any machine in my shop with ease. As far as performance is concerned directing chips to an open driveway is the same as an open chip box. You should never have a problem with chips clogging your planner.

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    I believe that having the dust collector situated as close to the major chip/dust generators will help in collection and effectiveness. My jointer/planer machine is the closest machine to the dust collector, since it generates more chips than any other machine in the shop. Shorter duct runs with minimal use of flex hose also helps.
    Only problem with this in a planer scenario is that even with a 55 gallon drum (or two) your going to be emptying chips more than your surfacing material. Its why we bring our material in leaving the vendor to deal with the chips leaving us enough to do what we need to do.

I don't think you can get a cheaper DC than this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-i...xoCaKsQAvD_BwE

$180. If you miss a sale you can use a 20% off coupon and may get it cheaper. I use one on top of a super dust deputy and discharging outside. Works fine. If you just want to pull the chips off the planner and send them away, it would be easy to remove the blower and put it on a wooden stand or something. I pulled it off and bolted it to the wall of my shop.

I also built my own 70 gallon wooden box which fills up when I use my planner or jointer. It has wheels on the bottom (off the HF DC) so I just push it to the pickup, slide it in the bed, and go dump it at the collection site (5 miles away). Would a bigger easily mobile box help?. Mine has 3/4 plywood top and bottom but the sides are just 5mm luan glued and stapled onto a softwood frame. I worried it might implode but it has held up fine. The thin plywood helps keep the weight down so I can move it fairly easily, even when full. I try not to pick it up, just tilt it into the pickup bed and then tilt it into the dump site. So I am not lifting the entire weight.

First, Cincinnati Fan is a well respected industrial line of fans. Top notch! They used to make Delta's units, along with "Dust Boy's. Can you run a DC pipe to your planner out on the slab? If so, do what I did, build a "Top Hat version Phil Thiens baffle and use it at the planner. That's what I did for my Delta 15" planner. You can see my (the original, as in first ever) over at NC Woodworker. Search "Another Vote for Phil Thien's Baffle."

Jon, I think i have the same planer you have and i also have a clearvue. My four inch chute was always a problem. I replaced the four inch with a 5" pipe just bending the chute to the large diameter and most of my problems have disappeared.
    Stevo

If the planer is a Powermatic 209, the machine design failure might be part of the problem.

The 209 has a hood that redirects the spray of chips off the head, and sends them into a 4" port. Cutting a hole in the hood and putting a new transition hood on top,in line with the chip spray, to a 6" hose will help. Home Depot has HVAC connections thatgo from 6" round to 4" x 12" rectangle, and plywood will fill in the rest. It appears that Powermatic made the top of the planer flat, and put rollers on it, to allow wood to be rolled over the top of the planer. It makes more sense to use a cart, or saw horses. Dust collection is more important than having the planer function as a pair of saw horses.