Thread: Senior citizen shopping at Costco

Blog Entries

Senior citizen shopping at Costco

I'm a senior citizen who does, or did, a lot of shopping at Costco. Starting on March 30, senior citizens can shop at Costco from 8 to 9 AM on Tues., Wed, & Thurs. Some states have different mandates so be sure to check local hours. I don't own any Costco stock,( the P/E at 33x is a little too high for me,) but maybe I should
    Dennis

Most grocery stores are doing the same thing.

We were there in the middle of the afternoon and it was much less crowded than usual, and they had cleared up the aisles and checkout area so it was possible to maintain plenty of space. I was impressed at how careful they were being to protect both customers and staff. Every place that has "senior hours" seems to have big crowds and lines during those times. Despite being eligible I'd rather go when there are fewer other people.

Dennis, it started last week on Tuesday, supposedly nationwide. We went on "opening day". It was well organized despite what seemed like a long line because of folks staying apart from each other. The shopping experience was pleasant as was the checkout which was well staffed. Would I do it again? Maybe, but I hate getting up at oh-dark-early or even oh-light-early.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    We were there in the middle of the afternoon and it was much less crowded than usual, and they had cleared up the aisles and checkout area so it was possible to maintain plenty of space. I was impressed at how careful they were being to protect both customers and staff. Every place that has "senior hours" seems to have big crowds and lines during those times. Despite being eligible I'd rather go when there are fewer other people.
    Roger
    I hadn't thought of that, I think I'll see what it looks like this afternoon, thanks for the tip.
    Dennis

We went the other afternoon. It was nice. I wish they would control it like that always so it wouldn't be such a zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dennis, it started last week on Tuesday, supposedly nationwide. We went on "opening day". It was well organized despite what seemed like a long line because of folks staying apart from each other. The shopping experience was pleasant as was the checkout which was well staffed. Would I do it again? Maybe, but I hate getting up at oh-dark-early or even oh-light-early.
    Jim, did they run out of anything before you got into the store? That has been happening here in the grocery stores. The seniors clean out the paper goods so there is nothing left for everybody else after “senior hours” end. And yes, they are limiting how much you can buy.

I shopped the Costco senior hours last Tuesday. Two of our regional grocery chains, Winco and Rosauers , have senior hours on Tuesday and Thursdays also.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

On last trip to Aldi's, they have limits on number of any item that could be bought. They had no signs telling you what they are. On a typical weekend, I make biscuits for us, our daughter and her son, grandson, and widowed friends (2.) Daughter's son eats biscuits during the week for breakfast each day. This means I need four rolls of breakfast sausage, but could only buy two in one brand. But I could buy two more in the other brand they sell. I could buy the four rolls, just has to be two different brands. Means I will have to go twice to Aldi's this week. I'm amazed at how many people are going to be baking, as flour or sugar at Aldi's doesn't co-exist. One day they have flour, and sugar the next. Because of my up bringing, I keep a lardder of food. Wife has always fussed at me, but now it isn't such a bad thing.

My wife came back from Target and said they were out of her favorite kleenex as well as all paper items. The clerk told her to come at 8 the next morning and they would have paper goods.

My wife is not an early riser so she directed me to go. I got there at 8:11 and was using my new wheels (a rollator) to assist me in moving about the store. I must have been a pathetic sight because a customer stopped me and asked if they could help me find something. I noticed she had paper goods in her cart and I mentioned that I was there for paper goods. She said, "they're out of TP but you can have mine". I thanked her and assured her that we had a good supply.

I proceeded on to the paper section and picked up the Kleenex. On the way to the checkout, another customer stopped me and asked if she could help. I told her my mission was to buy Kleenex and TP. She insisted I take her TP even though I told her we had plenty. She said it was easier for her to run around to find more than for me. Rather than ruin her good samaritan effort I took the TP and thanked her profusely.

But doesn't that make your day!!! How kind and considerate of both of these ladies!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Jim, did they run out of anything before you got into the store? That has been happening here in the grocery stores. The seniors clean out the paper goods so there is nothing left for everybody else after “senior hours” end. And yes, they are limiting how much you can buy.
    No, because we were about in the 50th position to enter the store upon opening...and they opened the doors 15 minutes early like they always do, despite it being at 8am rather than 10am. There were some things not in stock (TP, pork chops, etc) but that wasn't because of any of us "mature" folks hoarding it. They just hadn't got any more in yet. Some items were quantity limited per-customer but that was reasonable. Otherwise we got what we needed as well as some other things that looked good. Costco also has a one hour break between the "Senor" hour and regular hours which they are using to clean and restock.
    --

My nephew ordered a case of TP from Menards who reserved it and notified him when it came in.

Blog Entries
    I didn't know you could buy Senior Citizens at Costco.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I didn't know you could buy Senior Citizens at Costco.
    They occasionally have a "special purchase" arrangement for, um...well...maybe not.
    --