Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade to 18v or buy more 14v batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Patrick, I think Jim makes an excellent point - it would be a big investment to replace all of those tools. I'm in a similar situation with Dewalt 18v with a bunch of tools, all those you mention plus impact drivers and angle grinders, and have had repeated failure of Dewalt batteries over the years and I've bought a bunch of replacement batteries. The things are so expensive I would sometimes find kits with a new Dewalt tool and two batteries for less money than a pair of batteries.

Although I do get much better life on other brands, for example the LithiumIon batteries with Hitachi that simply refuse to deteriorate, I can't see spending a couple of thousand $$ of new tools to replace the Dewalt. I've slowly started replacing Dewalt 18v batteries with much cheaper compatible batteries bought from Amazon. If I had the 14v I'd look for some less expensive substitutes.
    Last week you could have picked up (from acmetools.com) a DeWalt 20v set of drill, impact driver, circular saw, recip, grinder, flashlight, 2Ah batteries (and a radio, FWIW,) for US$399. Nice kit. You'd probably want to pick up some more 5Ah batteries.

As of this writing, that deal is still on.

DeWalt 12v and 14v is 1990's technology.

BTW, I haven't had any problems with the DeWalt 20v batteries, of which I have a bunch, and they get a lot of use. Some people have reported issues with the Milwaukee 18v 9ah battery, but I have a couple and they've been fine. I use them for my string trimmer, edger, pole chain saw, etc.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 03-28-2020 at 5:41 PM.

Personally, if I were younger than 95 years old, I'd update. Why throw money at outdated, inferior equipment, when you could put yourself on the road to lighter, more powerful, and more ergonomic set-up for the next 20 years?

John, there is an adapter that Dewalt makes for 18v to 20v conversion. I have one old style 18v tool left that I bought the adapter for. The tool, a rotary laser, uses so little power that I’ve not tried the adapter yet, but it sounded good in theory since I’ve got a bunch of their 20v batteries.

Unfortunately, I don’t see anything for the 14.4v system that the OP has.

The benefits of improved performance, lighter weight and smaller form need to be weighed against the cost of new tools. Might make sense in the short term to just buy batteries, which are ultimately a consumable item anyway. Actually, so are most job site tools. Eventually, the manufacturers stop making parts and the tool becomes obsolete. This is true for corded tools as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Ridgid tools bought at Home Depot usually come with a lifetime warranty that includes free parts for life- that includes batteries.
    ...as long as you register them...they require that for the lifetime deal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the DEWALT 20v and th y are great!
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...as long as you register them...they require that for the lifetime deal.
    Yep- but easy to do online!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-29-2020 at 1:37 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging.

Yea...as long as one remembers to do it... DAMHIKT!
    --

I got the 18v to 20v adapter Eric mentions a few years back. Works great with a noticeable improvement in performance. Minor issue is changing the adapter from one tool to another is a bit tricky ( I have two adapters and three tools). Consider getting one for the every older tool you have. Also, it seems that the battery drains if I leave it in the "adapted" tool for a day or so. Easy enough to just pull them out when done using them.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of anything that would help you keep the 14v tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schmid View Post
    John, there is an adapter that Dewalt makes for 18v to 20v conversion. I have one old style 18v tool left that I bought the adapter for. The tool, a rotary laser, uses so little power that I’ve not tried the adapter yet, but it sounded good in theory since I’ve got a bunch of their 20v batteries.
    The benefits of improved performance, lighter weight and smaller form need to be weighed against the cost of new tools. Might make sense in the short term to just buy batteries, which are ultimately a consumable item anyway. Actually, so are most job site tools. Eventually, the manufacturers stop making parts and the tool becomes obsolete. This is true for corded tools as well.
    I have that Dewalt adapter and two 20v Lithium Ion batteries. I use it on mostly on an impact driver and a couple of other tools as needed.

It worked great for a while and considered getting a second one. Now, less than two years old the two 20v batteries won't take a full charge according to the charge indicator LEDs.

The adapter+battery is smaller and lighter weight than the big 18v nickel batteries. I wish these consumables didn't start getting consumed that quickly. Or maybe my charger is faulty.

batteries_A.jpg batteries_B.jpg

I do have the problem unlatching the adapter from the tools. I may file on the hook latches a bit.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Back in the day, I used NiCad Dewalts & they had horrible battery life. It seemed like about 2 years was all I could expect. I have a Dewalt 20V hedge trimmer & weed whacker & the battery is 3 or 4 years old & seems as good as ever. 2 years on LI batteries seems really short. I'd call Dewalt about that

I've been in the Milwaukee M18 system for at least 10 years & have not lost a battery yet. I'm sure the older ones have reduced capacity by now, but not that I notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I've been in the Milwaukee M18 system for at least 10 years & have not lost a battery yet. I'm sure the older ones have reduced capacity by now, but not that I notice.
    I've heard similar comments from others so I'm considering making Milwaukee my new standard as I replace tools. Some months ago I bought my first LI Milwaukee tool (a grease gun) and so far I'm well pleased.

When it comes to cordless "systems" of tools, Milwaukee seems to get a lot of kudos.
    --

Blog Entries
    I have at least a dozen Milwaukee M18 tools & probably 18 of the batteries. The only 'failure' has been where some narrow pieces of rubber trim that are on the sides of the drill bodies have separated from the drill case. It doesn't affect tool performance, but is annoying to me to see those rubber bits flopping around. There are worse problems to have.

Oh, the metal cutting circular saw did have a gear fail after 4 years, but the repair was covered under the 5 year warranty.