Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final sanding before assembly?

Final sanding before assembly?

Does anyone do the final sanding of the pieces before assembly? I almost more often than not wish I had when doing final sanding and can't get into tight spaces or glue joints

I not only do as much final sanding as possible, but I pre-finish before assembly where I can.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

It depends. For instance, I do final sanding on drawer interiors before gluing them up, because sanding those inside corners is difficult. But I do final sanding on the outside after glue-up, because I'm likely to be cleaning off squeeze-out and clamp marks.

Not exactly final sanding, but as close as I can get. Definitely all the flat panels, but always have to bring something flush and break over sharp edges after the full glue up.

Generally speaking yes you try to finish it as far as possible and only do the necessary clean up after assembly to get ready for whatever Finish will be applied. Not using too much glue and masking along glue joints really saves a ton of time on the clean up.

Regards Philipp

Always for certain kinds of projects...and always most of the way for everything else. It's easier to sand components than assemblies sometimes. Folks need to remember that abrasives are not the only material/tool that can be used to bring things to final "goodness" before finishing, too. Don't forget that sharp scrapers can be used to get into places to deal with glue squeeze, etc., where it would be nearly impossible to sand out.

I will add that there are times when I also pre-finish components before assembly. I hate shooting finish into a box, for example, so if the plan is for a finished interior, that gets done before whatever it is gets assembled. Yes, there is work masking off for glue joints, but it's easier to clean glue seep and there's no finish-in-the-face when spraying as there would be by spraying after things become an enclosed space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also sand drawer interiors and also the interior of a chest of drawers. Basically anything that will be a lot more accessable prior to assembly. I generally do not finish before assembly but I do with raised panel doors. I finish the panel and inside edge of the frame before glue up. I hate it when the panel shrinks and shows an unfinished edge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Always for certain kinds of projects...and always most of the way for everything else.
    Jim and I may be twin sons of different mothers. Not only are my parts nearly finish prep'd, I pre-finish any problematic sub-assemblies.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Like stated above, I sand everything as far as reasonably far as I can before assembly. I use a wide belt sander, I'm trying to get as much sanding done as possible before even cutting things to size. For instance, lumber for drawer boxes will be sanded to 180 before even being ripped to size.

you will dull your tooling in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Jim and I may be twin sons of different mothers. Not only are my parts nearly finish prep'd, I pre-finish any problematic sub-assemblies.
    Something I learned to do from folks here a long time ago...why get into difficult situations if you can avoid them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Everything is sanded to a finish state , assembled, glue is wiped off and a final hand sanding is done before it goes to finish....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I not only do as much final sanding as possible, but I pre-finish before assembly where I can.

2nd that. Finishing is my least favorite part of woodworking, so I find it much easier to pre-finish everything before assembly. The beam I put in to carry the load of my pool table upstairs turned out to be very handy for this. Large binder clips work great.

image-20190907_153601.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Without quoting the post that you are referring to I have no idea what order will dull my tooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    you will dull your tooling in that order.

I follow the practices of several of those already mentioned. Drawers are finished inside (normally shellac) before gluing; outside of drawers are sanded and finished after gluing. Normally, most components are sanded to a finish state before gluing with a final touch up sanding after gluing. I work with oak mostly so then dampen it to raise the grain, then another light sanding or smoothing with pads depending on how much the wood raised. I forgot to mention the joints are masked to reduce glue on the surfaces. These are my typical practices but can vary depending on wood and complexity of of project.