Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This country in three months?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    A hard lockdown, the testier the better, for as long as it takes, is the answer (from the best expert advice that I have found.) And the harder it gets, the shorter it will be.

I am _amazed_ by the number of cars still on the road, heard off in the distance, even now. We're supposed to be under shelter-in-place restrictions.
    Hi Doug, where I live gasoline is around 0.70/l down from about 1.20/l. The rods are almost empty.

I’m at the end of week 2 of work from home, my company will probably extend this for another few weeks.

My daughter is a nurse, when you wind up putting people on a ventilator, they need to be sedated and in ICU, that’s the issue, tying up enormous amounts of healthcare resources.

We probably need to stay locked down for months.....Rod
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-28-2020 at 10:03 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Hopefully three months from now there is good news about a vaccine that works very well.

Purely a SWAG here but I'd say traffic is down about 70%. We go out about every other day but it's to the local supermarket, maybe the drug store or post office but that's about it. I really feel for the people in the hospitality industry - hotels, restaurants, clubs. They have to be dying.

Presented without comment, re OP's question:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...seeking-refuge

Blog Entries
    I see a lot of negative rhetoric about non-essential businesses still going just to keep making profit. Doesn’t make it right, but many small business owners are scared to death they will loose their business that they put their life savings into and which employs many folks that are now friends. They feel a responsibility to keep them employed. Not about profit, it is about survival.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I question if I may have had COVID-19 already and it was diagnosed as Influenza. My rapid test for Influenza came back as negative and they didn't do the longer test for Influenza for some reason. The doctor simply said I had all the signs of Influenza and said the test is not 100%. I had shortness of breath and other symptoms that match up with COVID-19. This was back in January before any doctor would have the slightest thought of anyone having COVID-19 in the USA.

Now, I figure I really did have Influenza as Influenza happens all the time. I'll never know for sure unless they somehow start testing people for exposure to COVID-19.
    Your story is one Ive heard numerous times and had myself as well. In early Feb went down with 103 fever for three days, hacking, not a ton of body ache, nasty. SO got hit with it two days before me (brought it home from a closed conference room meeting with a co-worker that showed up fully sick and locked in a meeting for 4 hours with a group of people). I just rode it out (I dont do doctors unless its diar). Had friends with the exact same "sick" as we had that went to the doctor tested negative for flu-a and flu-b but were told they didnt qualify for the corona test (this was way early when there were no tests).

Since that time I have spoken with customers, vendors, friends, and more, that have all told the same story of a January/February bug that took down their whole office. I think it was just a cold because most everyone bounced back in a week but had a persistent painful cough for a month after. I still have the cough in the morning with a steamy shower.

I remember having a virus many years ago (maybe 15) where I was sick for perhaps 2-3 weeks and couldnt shake it. Cough was brutal. Finally went to the small local doctor who knows me because was hanging on and he said "I know you dont like doctors and I know you dont like medications, most people would just come in here and demand antibiotics, but this is just something you have to ride out... I will write you a prescription if you want me to but it wont do any good".... he knew what the answer would be and I happily walked out the door knowing I wasnt dying and just rode it out for another month or so.

I would guess there are at least a third or half as many people who have, or have had, Covid that just ride it out or have very minimal symptoms.

Heard a story a bit back that the ultimate reality is that the entire population will eventually have it no different than the flu.

Peoples Pharmacy this morning had a really good episode covering a lot of the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I see a lot of negative rhetoric about non-essential businesses still going just to keep making profit. Doesn’t make it right, but many small business owners are scared to death they will loose their business that they put their life savings into and which employs many folks that are now friends. They feel a responsibility to keep them employed. Not about profit, it is about survival.
    Very true. But "survival" has more than one meaning here...that's the conundrum.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Falsetti View Post

This is happening right now here in WV. Homeland Security and their state branches are involved. Out-of-state people are flocking here because of so few cases. Rest areas, trying to find campgrounds and cabins that are still available.

When this all started to break and we still had no cases there were scary prepper memes going all around with images of vigilante snipers perched on the side of the interstate saying "dont come here, you've ignored WV til now, dont look to us to save you"...

Sadly these scenarios often bring out the worst along with the best in humanity.

The idea of closing borders between the states is going to cause a political uproar and tons of lawsuits. Thus ends the politics in this thread so lets not go there. I will say that the idea of imprisoning someone for 90 days strikes me as ridiculous given the current need to "social distance". Where would they put the people and how would they prevent a horrendous locus of infection if even 1 person was positive? Not very well thought out except as a threat.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Went to home depot today to buy fence lumber. Our friend bought paint at another one within 10 miles. she had to wait in line until there was room inside. My store no controls on how many are inside.
    Gas station told me business was down 70%. This is largely a commuter town.
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-29-2020 at 9:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post

I am _amazed_ by the number of cars still on the road, heard off in the distance, even now. We're supposed to be under shelter-in-place restrictions.
    Well, most days you will see me on the road. I take my dog to an out of the way place and walk her for an hour or two. We only see a couple people, and stay 10' away from them. You got a problem with that?

OP... the only way we are getting back to normal in a few months is if it turns out to be strongly seasonal, or a great treatment turns up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Well, most days you will see me on the road. I take my dog to an out of the way place and walk her for an hour or two. We only see a couple people, and stay 10' away from them. You got a problem with that?
    Nope. Is this a Subaru commercial? :^)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Falsetti View Post

It is not unusual for folks in the Minneapolis area to have a cabin elsewhere in the five state area. Many people are retreating to their cabins because they think they can get away from COVID-19. Residents who live there year round don't want the cabin dwellers there because the medical systems aren't set up to handle large numbers of sick people. One county has a single respirator and it is supposedly in an ambulance and not in a hospital.

This is a bit different than what is happening in Rhode Island as nobody is seeking out visitors from outside the area.

A local brewery with only a tap room does a "Beer & Hymns" the last Sunday of every month. It is always packed--we go 2-2.5 hours early so that our group (usually 4-10) has a place to sit. Since they're now closed to sit-in service, the musician hosted the event online last night. To help support the business, I got a couple growlers filled there yesterday. I asked the bartender how business was, and he replied that their margins are down due to not serving pints to sit-in customers because they're filling more lower-margin growlers. Overall volume of beer going out the door is up, though. Since my wife and I both have fairly stable jobs for now, we're trying to get take-out occasionally from our favorite local eateries--we want to see them survive this mess.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    It is not unusual for folks in the Minneapolis area to have a cabin elsewhere in the five state area. Many people are retreating to their cabins because they think they can get away from COVID-19. Residents who live there year round don't want the cabin dwellers there because the medical systems aren't set up to handle large numbers of sick people. One county has a single respirator and it is supposedly in an ambulance and not in a hospital.

This is a bit different than what is happening in Rhode Island as nobody is seeking out visitors from outside the area.
    Same, here at the lake.