Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Glue

Blog Entries

Super Glue

Do you use it?
    I have a small bottle, but I don't remember why.I suspect I used it to lock the nut on bolts to keep them
    from vibrating loose.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Do you use it?
    I have a small bottle, but I don't remember why.I suspect I used it to lock the nut on bolts to keep them
    from vibrating loose.
    I use it often, in shop and home. For some it is a necessary supply for woodturning: mounting, tiny cracks, filling small voids, inlay, finishing. Woodturners often keep it in thin, medium, and gap filling viscosity.

BTW, I use thread lockering compound (Locktite, Permatex, etc) for metal threads - the blue is prevents loosening but is removable if needed. The red is "permanent" but can be removed after applying heat. It almost required for those who work on equipment and machines and work with metal.

JKJ

I use multiple formulas/consistencies including colored. Do note, however, that once opened the stuff can go bad. Keep what you need for your normal use, but don't buy in large containers if your needs are small. Also buy additional cap/nozzle setups because those also get messed up, especially with the thicker stuff and when there is humidity.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like to buy the little single use tubes. Mostly for filling cracks, gaps or chipped areas.

I use it for fretboard inlays, and to glue cracks in my fingertips shut in the winter. I get the #30 thick CA from Stew-Mac, I go through one of those little bottles every couple of years and periodically I have to drill out the top of the cap when it gets closed up with dried glue. A 1/16" or 3/32" bit works perfectly.
    Zach

Great stuff to cover skin cracks and small cuts on my fingers and hands.

Couple of tips with CA glue, don't store the CA glue bottles and the accelerant bottles in the same container, the plastic is permeable enough to cure the CA glue in the bottle DAMHIK, if the tip is plugged I use a pin heated red hot with a torch to clear it, easier than trying to drill it out.

I use it all the time in the shop. Mixed with sawdust to fill holes, gluing chip out back on, lots of stuff. Mostly I buy the ten packs of little tubes at Harbor Freight when they're on sale; if one dries out, no big deal.

I use it for skin cracks, repairing wife's favorite coffee cup lid, an most importantly, reattaching a tooth to a non removable bridge, which is now removable. Only after virus has run it'd course, will I have bridge replaced with a set of lowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I use multiple formulas/consistencies including colored. Do note, however, that once opened the stuff can go bad. Keep what you need for your normal use, but don't buy in large containers if your needs are small. Also buy additional cap/nozzle setups because those also get messed up, especially with the thicker stuff and when there is humidity.
    I don't know if you saw it before, but I keep opened CA glue bottles in a closed container with indicator desiccant. The desiccant keeps moisture in the air from seeping through the plastic bottle and causing the glue to set up before it's time. CA last a LOT longer this way.

Before I got a larger air-tight canister, I used this fat jar:

CA_glue_storage_IMG_5481.jpg

When the desiccant turns pink it's time to dry it in the oven.

BTW, I use it for sealing holes in animal skin too.

JKJ

That's a really good idea, John. I'm going to have to look into that. I particularly have problem with the medium thickness product curing in the nozzle despite being properly shaken down and capped.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I attached all of the moulding around the top of this cabinet with super glue. Still holding strong!

AF569816-8F53-4AA7-B48A-28B423A1D023.jpeg

Use it all the time as a finish for pens. I turn pens as a hobby and it is the go to finish especially for wood pens. Durable and polishes to a high shine. Get it in thin and med.
    John T.

This clock is held together with Gorilla super glue. Used 23ga pins as clamps
    IMG_0699.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I use it to attach runners on jigs that ride in the miter slot. It's also Good for small parts that are difficult to clamp, but can be held in place a few minutes. Keep it the refrigerator and lasts much longer, put the bottle in a jar so it doesnt tip and spill in your refer.
    Last edited by william watts; 03-29-2020 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added bottle
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss