Thread: Reclaimed Scaffold Plank Workbench

Reclaimed Scaffold Plank Workbench

Just finished this workbench made from reclaimed 2 x 10 x 12' SYP scaffold plank. Pretty rough wood after being used for stucco and mortar, but scaffold is probably the best grade from a SYP sawmill. Also very dry after sitting in the desert sun for years. I think I found 2 small knots in 8 pieces. It was an adventure!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty darn nice!

What did you do to get all that stucco and mortar off the planks? That stuff would destroy cutting edges in short order.

Thanks! A wire brush machine with a pretty aggressive abrasive did a good job. Had to hit some of it with a hammer to loosen it. Then compressed air. Still had grits embedded in the checks that I picked out as I saw them. Surprisingly, just dulled a few of the knives on the helical head jointer and the planer. I think I'd coarse-sand it through a local Timesaver before I put knives to it again.

Looks very solid. Did you find any rebar.
    Around here scaffolding planks have rebar in them.
    Aj

Very nicce bench! (I had to look twice - mine looks very similar.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Looks very solid. Did you find any rebar.
    Around here scaffolding planks have rebar in them.
    Yes, a piece about 8" from each end. I tried to pound them out, but it was much easier to cut the ends off. I burned them in the wood stove and recovered the rebar.

Nice job! People often ask, what's the best wood for a workbench? My answer always is, what do you have?