Thread: You Really Can Help

You Really Can Help

I would encourage everyone on the site to go check their shelves and closets for boxes of masks and other critically needed supplies and donate what you can spare. Even what seems like a drop in the bucket could save someones life. And with the coming shortage of hospital beds, that life could very well be your own.

Background:

Last night, after talking to my aunt, a nurse, I had a vague memory of having an extra box of N95 masks on a shelf somewhere. She had mentioned that they could not get them anywhere at the hospital she worked at and that she and her daughter were sewing up cloth substitutes. I went out to the shop checked one of the top shelves, and as I had suspected, there was an unopened box of twenty 3M N95 masks. I asked her if they would be helpful and her text reply was "God bless you!"

I dropped them off tonight, thinking that it would be just a trivial thing. She was so happy when she saw them, I don't think she would have been more excited if I told her I was paying off her mortgage.

She said that combined with the sewn masks and a certain type of cleaning, these could be reused, and that the box would probably get her department through the worst of the epidemic. She was almost tearful when she said this.

Again, please check what you have and can spare, even a single box of masks could be someone's life. Thank you and God bless.

I had some partially used boxes of Nitrile gloves that I use in the mechanic shop. I've bought different ones to see which ones I liked, and which fit, so it was a small arm load full. I thought the hospital wouldn't want opened boxes, but they were glad to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I had some partially used boxes of Nitrile gloves that I use in the mechanic shop. I've bought different ones to see which ones I liked, and which fit, so it was a small arm load full. I thought the hospital wouldn't want opened boxes, but they were glad to get them.
    Ditto for me. I had a few open boxes of nitrile gloves and the local news was talking about this local drive, so I went out there and donated them. They were super-appreciative and said everything helps.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I've never used disposable masks but if I had some, they'd go to my neighbor Katlyn who is a first responder who works her butt off with two different squads in the county while at the same time running an equestrian business. I don't know how she goes with such little sleep...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...