Thread: Memories in a sack.

Memories in a sack.

I lucked into the perfect job with a wonderful local company. At least for my particular set of skills and disadvantages. I will forever be grateful. got a paycheck twice a month. Don't know why, but stuck the first stub in my desk drawer. Then the second and after a couple of years it became a thing. Had to keep moving the drawer partition every few years to expand. On retirement from the R&D department this is what the accumulated stubs looked like.IMG_5716.jpg The very first is on the left and the final one 43 1/2 years later is on the right. ALL the others in order between. Co-workers were impressed, if puzzled as well, when I would show them occasionally when they would come into my metrology lab. Held on to them after retirement. Again not sure why. Shredded them today. A little bit hard. Lots of memories of people and accomplishments. Had to empty the shredder basket 3 times and overheated it once IMG_5727.jpgIMG_5728.jpg No particular reason for posting. Just something I did today.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    Sometimes different work day memories come back to me. Though my career had more job changes than yours.

Many fond memories, and a few not so fond, from years past.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very sweet and impressive (43.5 yrs with the same company!!!). Thank you for brightening my day.

Congratulations on a great career Michael!

In July it will be 10 years since I awoke deaf. The company had 6 months of short term disability insurance on me so I didn't' officially retire until February 2011. I still have some fond memories and miss some of the coworkers and customers. I no longer miss the job or the related stress.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That's a lot of pay stubs! I'm actually surprised you got paper stubs in the latter years of your employment, too. I know that if I wanted one, I had to print it out myself.

Long careers do tend to have many mementos, even when there are multiple employers. I have a bunch of awards from multiple companies that I know I'll ultimately need to, um....deal with...when any downsizing cleanup happens in the next few years. They were important to me at the time for sure, but haven't been displayed in many years now. I'm sure it will be hard to "chuck them out", but they are not something anyone else would want or appreciate. I'm sure it will be hard, yet necessary.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing that story. It made me smile.

Once I saved all my sunflower seed shells for several months in a paper bag. When it got full, I spray painted the top gold & put it on my desk. Coworkers were not impressed. I suspect you won't be either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a lot of pay stubs! I'm actually surprised you got paper stubs in the latter years of your employment, too. I know that if I wanted one, I had to print it out myself.

Long careers do tend to have many mementos, even when there are multiple employers. I have a bunch of awards from multiple companies that I know I'll ultimately need to, um....deal with...when any downsizing cleanup happens in the next few years. They were important to me at the time for sure, but haven't been displayed in many years now. I'm sure it will be hard to "chuck them out", but they are not something anyone else would want or appreciate. I'm sure it will be hard, yet necessary.
    I had the option for electronic deposit but never opted for it. I wanted a complete collection when I left
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I still got a paper stub every two weeks up until 2014 or 2015 when we got a new web based system for payroll. I had been on direct deposit for a dozen plus years before they stopped the paper stubs. I believe I shredded the majority of them since I can access everything back for four or five years online now. The early ones had my SSN on them, but I think they switched to the last four digits at some point.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 03-27-2020 at 11:23 AM.