Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Psyche damage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    The biggest psyche damage is some of the comments on this thread. I have never read such negativity and some in this thread seem ready to cash it all end. I believe that we will find solutions and survive. Rather than the glass half empty that some seem to have , I am a glass half full.
    I'm with you Larry. No sense in being a fatalist. This is a bad trip for sure, but it will end, and life will go on. Sometimes the wake-up call makes us appreciate what we have.

As to kids, I agree with someone else in the thread that said they are more resilient than we think. The brains of children and adolescents are functionally and physiologically different than adults and in ways that protect them from macro type stresses. It has been studied that personal experiential trauma is very real for them, but societal crisis not so much. I think many adults will have some PTSD of some type, especially those that face financial hardships, suffer illness themselves, or lose loved ones, but human beings overcome in the end and the sun will rise.
    Edwin

Just to be clear I don’t post these thought/feelings thinking it’s gonna win me the popular vote. I’m not that stupid

I’m full well aware that it will ostracize me from most.

Regardless it’s how I feel and I never pretend or beat around the bush.

I say what I think and don’t need or expect everyone/most or many for that matter to agree. I turn on the tv I see what the general population subscribe to.

My opinions are mine. I don’t expect others to agree. I do hope that those my thoughts feelings and opinions dont push away maybe makes a few think. I know 100% for sure I’m not alone in these opinions and ideas. Often we can think we are and unless we hear other people voice similar feelings we can think we are the only ones. If we don’t do something regarding our direction as a race it’s my opinion we are in trouble.

If you think ok he is bat shit crazy so be it. Is what it is. I never did a dam thing with the motive or intent to be popular. I have never had the slightest interest in being part of the masses..

Right now the masses are supposed to be social distancing and instead they are all outside acting like it a freaking holiday..
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 03-28-2020 at 12:04 AM.

I am just so happy that I don't regard myself so badly. I think you should seek counseling for such feelings. You don't have to be that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    True,

And I agree.

But my perspective is resilient kinda like a dam germ.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I am just so happy that I don't regard myself so badly. I think you should seek counseling for such feelings. You don't have to be that way.
    I don't think that's what he mean't.

My 13 YO (when did he grow up???) has been sitting on his computer, gaming for most of the last 2 weeks. His biggest concern seems to have been that we didn't buy him a gaming computer for his birthday. As if!
    We're being inundated by the social workers with offers of counseling. I have a feeling we will need it once he faces the reality that his playing 14 hours on the Xbox and PS4 are going to be interrupted by !heavens above! distance schooling.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

No commentary. Just a suggestion...perhaps for perspective. Consider reading Erik Larson's "The Splendid and the Vile". It's about Winston Churchill's first year as the new British Prime Minster and the Blitz.

My thoughts are that any and all damage can be laid at the door of society and parents that have hidden reality from children for perhaps the last 70ish years.

Life happens, it is what shapes us all, and it is unavoidable in the end. So if the kiddies are surprised, they are because of a trend to keep our children away from life rather than allowing them to experience and grow. It is a parents job to prepare their children for life, and life ALWAYS has its tragedies.

I am in agreement with Patrick, humans are a virus on the earth and eventually we will die out by our own hand, or the universe will cough and expel us. It makes no difference really, we are but a speck in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    As if!
    We're being inundated by the social workers with offers of counseling. I have a feeling we will need it once he faces the reality that his playing 14 hours on the Xbox and PS4 are going to be interrupted by !heavens above! distance schooling.
    My close friend's 13yo daughter in Florida is about to experience that "opening of the heavens" tomorrow morning bright and early...no more sleeping in until noon. Classes start at 8am and their district has it structured exactly like everyone is in a classroom. They apparently have a good implementation of Canvas (used my many universities) and it's set and ready to go for the remainder of the school year.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    My son seems largely unbothered by this, he’s been talking to friends and teachers via FaceTime and using his imagination to come up will all kinds of fun.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    My son seems largely unbothered by this, he’s been talking to friends and teachers via FaceTime and using his imagination to come up will all kinds of fun.
    I put all 3 of mine to work at my shop. We ran pipe, pulled wire an installed 16 more lights yesterday. Today my oldest and I will install a new garage door opener.

Also been helping my wife clean up outside and do stuff around the house.

Got to keep them busy.

Some years ago, when we had kids at home there were strict rules about computer, tv, and game times. Also, a list of chores. This is a great time to teach kids of all ages to cook, clean, do laundry, scrub floors etc. All of these are life skills and should be taught.

I understand that I grew up in a different time but kids need to learn discipline. My dad had strict rules and these included never being told twice to do something and to do it right the first time PERIOD..