Some of the very best edge tools in my shop are Japanese chisels and plane blades made with the slight hollowing on the back of the blade. These tools are a joy for me to work with as a take a fantastic edge and are often the "tools of last resort" in difficult jobs.

My challenge is once I've sharpened the bevel back to the point where the cutting-edge begins to intersect with the hollow on the back of the chisel, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to "pound out" (?) the soft steel on top of the blade so that the hollow is "moved backward" and the back of the blade at the cutting edge is again flat? To date I tried setting the blade on anvil and using a small hammer (and sometimes a punch with a large hammer) to get the desired result. Obviously, I'm super nervous about inadvertently striking in cracking the hardened steel on the bottom of the blade that forms the cutting edge. I very much appreciate any advice and suggestions?

I apologize I don't know the correct Japanese words to describe various elements above.

Thanks, Mike