Thread: How to Flatten Hollow Japanese Chisel Backs?

Blog Entries

How to Flatten Hollow Japanese Chisel Backs?

Some of the very best edge tools in my shop are Japanese chisels and plane blades made with the slight hollowing on the back of the blade. These tools are a joy for me to work with as a take a fantastic edge and are often the "tools of last resort" in difficult jobs.

My challenge is once I've sharpened the bevel back to the point where the cutting-edge begins to intersect with the hollow on the back of the chisel, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to "pound out" (?) the soft steel on top of the blade so that the hollow is "moved backward" and the back of the blade at the cutting edge is again flat? To date I tried setting the blade on anvil and using a small hammer (and sometimes a punch with a large hammer) to get the desired result. Obviously, I'm super nervous about inadvertently striking in cracking the hardened steel on the bottom of the blade that forms the cutting edge. I very much appreciate any advice and suggestions?

I apologize I don't know the correct Japanese words to describe various elements above.

Thanks, Mike

Hi there, I don't know much about Japanese chisels, I don't own one either. I'd suggest you ask the dealer that sold you the chisels, or call one of the stores that specializes in them.

You may need to change your sharpening method to keep moving the hollow.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-26-2020 at 4:24 PM. Reason: removed direct link to another forum. Not permitted by TOS

I've just recently begun looking into Japanese Chisels and this guy seems to have a lot of knowledge. Check his blogs. https://covingtonandsons.com/

Don’t pound them out mike Flatten the back some more.
    As long as there’s a little bit of flat your good to go.
    Some of mine have barely a 1/32 and cut just fine.
    Good Luck
    Aj

The tapping out is more for plane irons than chisels. Most chisels have the hard steel layer wrapped up the sides and that makes it too rigid for tapping out to have much effect.

On the widest chisels you can move the center portion a little bit. But for the most part you regain the hollow by simply removing material from the back.

As Andrew says, you only need a very small landing behind the edge.

Usually it is enough to do a few strokes on the back with a medium- and then the polishing stones. This done each time the bevel is honed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike, I asked several people the same question, since some of the Japanese chisels don't have much flat area on the back before the hollow starts. The answer was always similar in they didn't care because they will not likely outlive the chisel before the flat touches the hollow.

Exactly Mike. Most of my blade backs have about 1- 2mm before the hollow. That’s plenty.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much guys- I really appreciate the advice! Some how the geometry of intersecting back and hollow escapes me but this much better solution than swinging a hammer at my prized edge tools!

Once again the generosity of SMC community save me from my own ignorance - startling common occurrence!

Cheers, Mike