Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to stop rust

How to stop rust

Just want to pass along something that works for me to prevent rust on your cast iron. Also lowers need to wax so often. I live on the Texas coast between Houston and the la state line. The shop is not climes controlled and everything sweats with the high humidity. I got a new hammer k3 table saw and a new griz 513 band saw at the end of 18. I waxed them as soon as I set them up but still had rust starting in just a few weeks of Jan night sweats. To try something different I ordered the rolled magnetic sheet material. 24” x 10ft from Amazon. Cut it to cover the cast iron and keep it on when ever the machines are not in use. Since doing this for over a year now both machines look like new. I have not had any rust at all on either one. The magnetic sheet works great for me. I still wax a few times a year
    gary

That's a great tip Gary!
    Thanks,
    David

In the past I've looked around for some that's wide enough for a table saw without much luck. It seams to be readily available in 24" wide rolls of every length.

Blog Entries
    I use Johnson's floor wax.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I use Johnson's floor wax.
    Likewise, but I have a few tools that spend more time idle than in use, and over a period of time, say several months, they will start to show some light rust.

I'll still paste wax them, but for the relative inexpensive cost of this, I'm going to give it a go.

Gary, thank you for this tip, I'm ordering some.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    In the past I've looked around for some that's wide enough for a table saw without much luck. It seams to be readily available in 24" wide rolls of every length.
    Surely you could mend two pieces together to make it wide enough. Or glue them to a piece of plywood.

Great tip, never would have thought of that. Thanks for sharing.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Surely you could mend two pieces together to make it wide enough. Or glue them to a piece of plywood.
    I'm assuming that the whole point is the condensation will collect on top of the sheet. Any joint could let the water pass to the iron. Still you could line up the joint with the miter slot or put a lot of wax under it. However simply having a sheet large enough would be the simplest way.

Another rust prevention product are the HTC tool covers. Back 1987 I bought one for my Uni-saw which was in an unheated garage. Still use it in my new shop here in Washington. After the first year of no rust use, I bought others to cover other machines.

Amazon lists them in various sizes. Largest size is 72 X 122” for US $45.00

https://www.amazon.com/HTC-TS-9072-B...5252608&sr=8-2

Why does it need to be magnetic? Seems like a piece of 1/8" hardboard would do the same thing, and cheaper.

I've had good luck in an unconditioned garage with a mixture of Boeshield and paraffin. The Boeshield is kind sticky on its own, so right after I apply it I rub a stick of paraffin all over the surface then buff. The Boeshield solvents help the wax coat evenly and the paraffin makes it slick. Seems better than either on its own and lasts a while.

I use Slipit

Slipit is made for table saws to stop rust...

One of the reasons i think it works better than some other covers like hardboard is the magnetic enables full tight contact with no place for air that would have moisture. My mechanic tools are soaking wet some days even though they are kept in a good drawer roller cabinet. With our temps and dew points there are some days where the steel temps of items in the shop never get above the dew point temp so that means they sweat like a frozen beer mug in most areas. Keeping the tops sealed with no contact to air is the trick. I sill wax with Johnson’s just not as often. I have not done this yet on my planer and jointer and they need constant scraping and wax from the condensation. I gave my extra material to my son for his new saw and need to order more. I I needed something wider than 24 I would lay then edge to edge and cove4 the joint with gorilla duct tape
    gary

14. Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Beitz View Post
    Slipit is made for table saws to stop rust...
    Rebel ...

And, I just put an old towel over the tables. Occasionally I'll add the floor wax.