Thread: Out in the shop, I found my . . .

Blog Entries

Out in the shop, I found my . . .

Veritas card scraper jointer edger. Being an old dog, I did not remember its purpose.

I will put it with my card scrapers. The Lee Valley site had a picture.

I didnt realize they made something like this,I just shoved a file in a small dado in a piece of oak

I clamp my scrapers really low in a metal working vise with wood jaws so I can't get too far out of square with the file, and then use a known square block on the stones to keep the body of the scraper square to the stone. You can use the rule of 60s for burnishing angle too, clamp a block of wood of known thickness in a vise with the scraper edge a measured distance above the wood block, then rest the burnisher on the edge of the scraper and the far edge of the wooden block.

Sorry for the long post, scrapers are the one thing I can sharpen well. Or better than anything else. I am confident Derek Cohen would sniff were I to hand him one of my scrapers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    I am confident Derek Cohen would sniff were I to hand him one of my scrapers.
    Only if you've produced fine powder from an exotic species, forbidden in Oz. "Bois de Rose" perhaps...

Blog Entries
    I found the card holder, so all is good. If you put a curl on the scraper you can make almost translucent shavings.

Blog Entries
    Veritas card scraper jointer edger
    Searching the Lee Valley web site didn't reveal what this mysterious item might be.

My imagination is running wild.

Is it possibly a scraper burnisher?

Round Scraper Steel.jpg

This one is NOS from a hardware store liquidation. My other one is a Buck Brothers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    It looks like a tool to dress a beveled edge on a knife to me. I have used screwdrivers to do that.

https://www.rockler.com/crown-burnisher
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-26-2020 at 9:08 PM.