Thread: 18" bandsaw decision: Rikon & Laguna models

18" bandsaw decision: Rikon & Laguna models

I’m in the market for an 18” bandsaw. The bandsaw will be mostly used for furniture making, and occasionally to cut 4x corbels for general construction applications. I don’t anticipate re-sawing lumber from rough logs, but would likely use the saw to slice veneers from lumber.

Both Rikon and Laguna are mentioned often as good values. Woodcraft is currently offering both the Rikon 10-342 & 10-347 18” models at a 15% discount & with what appears to be free shipping, and the Laguna 18BX2203 at 10% discount + shipping.

The 10-342 has a smaller table and only 2HP, the 10-347 has 4HP, and the Laguna 3HP. How important is horsepower given the applications stated above?

I’m not knowledgable on bandsaws and lack the understanding to compare the other features of these saws. I’d appreciate input from folks who own either of these models.

Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

2 HP is not enough for efficient (read enjoyable) resawing or veneer slicing, at least on anything more than about 8" wide. That would eliminate the one Rikon for me. I don't know what either saw costs, but you might want to look at the 17" Grizzly G0636X. There are several folks here who have one, myself included, and if you do a survey I think you will find nothing but praise. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

John

John, the 4HP Rikon is $2,210; the 3HP Laguna is $1,799.

The Griz G0636X is $3,000 shipped.
    Last edited by scott vroom; 03-25-2020 at 1:34 PM. Reason: adding info
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Last year when looking for an 18" saw I quickly decided that the less powerful Rikon was too light. It's a good 100lbs less than the Laguna. I set a budget of under $2000 so that left the 19" Grizzly and the Laguna BX18. I didn't need more than 12" of resaw otherwise the G0514X2 would of been out of the running as well. It really came down to who had a sale at the time. In my case it was Grizzly. There were some other features I liked about the Grizzly, mainly the rack and pinion table tilt. I suspect that as Asia recovers and it's factories start to get back up to speed we will see even better discounts as companies try to move equipment. So far Grizzly hasn't offered a discount yet but I suspect they will soon.

I didn't look at the 4hp Rikon so i can't help you with it. But I would have been just as happy with the Laguna.

I went through a similar decision process a year ago or so and ended up selecting the Laguna 18BX, mostly because there were essentially zero reviews on the bigger rikon, but many on the Laguna. I have zero complaints with the 18bx. My usage is similar to what you anticipate.

If you were planning to do heavy resawing all day, or use the saw in a production environment, then the extra HP of the big rikon might be an advantage, but I've never found the laguna to be underpowered for anything I've thrown at it, including ripping 5" thick Oak and resawing 10" cherry. I assume the rikon has a foot brake, but if it doesn't, cross it off the list. Waiting for a big bandsaw to spin down is something that gets old right away.

I love the ceramic guides on the laguna, but if the rikon has tool-less bearing guides like the 14" rikon those are likely fine as well. Other things I like on the laguna are the high/low fence and the dual dust ports. Dust collection is excellent. Don't remember how the rikon compares in those areas. The laguna mobility kit works well.

IIRC, the rikon warranty is longer, FWIW. I've not had any need of it or even to contact customer service.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I'll vote for the Rikon. I have no problem resawing with 2hp, but if I have more than 3 boards to resaw it's very unusual. Rikon has great customer service.

Taken from another WW forum, Rikon isn't shipping any tools from China for a few weeks. So if it isn't in stock, you will have to wait a few weeks.

I went through this same exercise looking for a 14" band saw. I had a lot of brands on my list Jet, Laguna, Grizzly, Rikon etc. During my research, I quickly ruled out 1 and 1 1/2 hp models, and than even dropped the Rikon 1 3/4 having options out there for 2+ hp models. Since I no longer have a Grizzly store near me (PA one closed a bunch of years back), I was leaning towards a model I could get my hands on. I found the Laguna 14BX at woodcraft in Delaware and that did it for me. Esp with the dual fence and ceramic guides

I am happy with the 14BX 2.5hp and if budget allowed, i would have went for it's big brother, the 18BX. Like most people have posted on other band saw purchase threads, a band saw is a pretty simple machine and most of these brands make a decent product. I purchased my saw as a demo, direct from Laguna. It was on display at trade show, but no a spec of sawdust, so i am pretty sure it never cut wood before I got it. I did contact customer service as the owner's manual was missing I was told that the manual was already requested when the saw was shipped but coming from elsewhere and will show up in a day or two. A PDF was e-mailed to me within the hour anyway. I also have a Laguna jointer and quality is very good.

Enjoy your research - it's part of the hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Taken from another WW forum, Rikon isn't shipping any tools from China for a few weeks. So if it isn't in stock, you will have to wait a few weeks.
    Yup....from Woodcraft on Rikon bandsaws:

Because of delays in shipping this item, it is uncertain when a confirmed ship date can be provided.

Scott Vroom