Thread: Urethane for furniture glides

Urethane for furniture glides

I have some benches I've made and need some larger glides. The legs are bent laminations that are 2.75" wide and 20mm thick. I've been looking for some larger diameter glides and have not be able to find an exact match. I will have threaded inserts in the legs to hold the glides. They should be between 3/8 and 1/2 inch thick. I'd prefer some round glides about 2 1/2 inches and have found nothing. Plenty of squares, rods, etc. in large quantities.

So asking what the opinions are on buying some urethane sheet and cutting myself. I have no idea on what grade of urethane I should use and there seems to be many different grades.

Anyone have some knowledge about this? I just need something that can be outdoors, large enough to support the load and not look like the 20 for $3 crap on Amazon.

You really want urethane? I would go buy a cheap polyethylene cutting board at Walmart and turn some discs from that.

Blog Entries
    Urathane isn't very slippery. You want UHMW, HDPE, PE or Delrin in that order for durability.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Anything https://www.mcmaster.com/glides/leveling-mounts-3/ that might work? Several options in the 2" to 3" range.
    earl