Thread: Things to color

Things to color

I have two young grandsons, stuck at home for now like many kids.

I turned a few small things today from maple to drop off at their house tomorrow along with hand sanitizer and food. I used light colored wood so they can draw on them with markers and watercolor brushes and who knows what! The 10-year-old is a budding artist. It will be interesting to see what the younger, 5, does.

turnings_to_color.jpg

Maybe I'll turn a bowl tonight to add to the pile. I will also take some 6-8" squares of smooth radiata pine plywood. Kids LOVE to draw on wood!

Perhaps an idea for others who know kids going stir crazy.

JKJ

Be fun to see what they're up to. We have a micro green growing challenge going with our grandchildren.

Great idea John. I see you are still getting out. We only go out to walk these days. Sounds as if it will be at least another month then that we see any change. We are lucky our son is close and makes an occasional food run for us . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Those are beautiful John- you are talented indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Those are beautiful John- you are talented indeed!
    Thanks! I did them quickly so don't look too closely.

Peter, I go out only when needed. I had to go to the Dr today for an allergy-related issue but I wore an N95 mask and gloves.

We plan to drop off things to the grandsons when out picking things up at the grocery. Some stores here are offering free ordering and pickup. The customer has to open and close the car trunk or door so the employee doesn't have to touch it. We've worked out a procedure to sanitize things when we get home.

I'll sanitize everything we take to the kids, put it in a clean plastic container, and set it on the front porch and wave hi through the window! (then follow up with Facetime)

Sounds as if you are doing your part John I just wish everyone was . . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Sounds as if you are doing your part John I just wish everyone was . . . .
    I noticed the last time I went into the grocery store more people than I were wearing masks. I wear gloves too from the time I leave the car till I get back in the car. I have plenty of good masks and industrial respirators and at least 500 gloves from the shop. I have a couple of full-face respirators and environmental coveralls too but here's hoping it doesn't come to that!!

It almost takes as much time to sanitize the groceries as it does to shop but we are getting quicker at it. Perhaps some would be interested in this video with a doctor showing how he sanitizes:

PSA Safe Grocery Shopping in COVID-19 Pandemic: https://kfor.com/news/doctor-shares-...our-groceries/

I know some are not concerned with the slim chance of contamination on things from a store but with my lungs if I catch the virus I'll be gone. Then my poor family and friends will be burdened with disposing with a shop full of tools and wood and all the diesel farm and dirt-moving machines!

JKJ

Thanks for the link John. I have shared it with our local Covid-19 community group.
    Pete