Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rapid air users

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    This is the response from rapid air.

Jeff
    Unfortunately, the ½ rapid air tubing will only have a life span of around 3-5 years, especially if you need to bend it or flex it, and if it is in areas years the temps will vary a lot through the years. The maxline is a good alternative as the life span will be around 50 years.

Thank you
    Very disappointing news, especially seeing that when I originally purchased at Northern Tool, I had intended going with the 3/4 Maxair, then decided on 1/2 because it said "homeowner use" and fit my application.

Fortunately its not a ton of money invested.

I wonder how many compressors are going to get ruined while someone is on vacation and forgot to turn it off and a pipe bursts????

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I wonder how many compressors are going to get ruined while someone is on vacation and forgot to turn it off and a pipe bursts????
    One more reason to always turn off the power to the compressor whenever leaving the shop!

But are their any reports of one bursting from air pressure? Mine have so far been fine at 160 psi (I think I installed the first section 6 or 7 years ago). I have a friend who had a high pressure compressor - if he still has it I'll see if I can experiment with some of the older tubing and find out what pressure it would take. Who knows, perhaps it will be astronomical.

I also wonder if RapidAir has burst tested aged 1/2" and already and has data. I didn't see anything about the age or lifetime of the pipe in their literature.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Back to galvanized or copper, or air hose for that matter? I used 1/2" galvanized to hook up my new compressor to my old 3/8" rubber air lines. Those rubber lines are at least 25 years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...