Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rapid air users

Rapid air users

So I have been a big supporter of rapid air for my air lines in my home shop and at work. I use the 3/4" product in my shop at work and the 1/2" product in my home shop. So the story here... I installed 1/2" in my home shop 5 years ago, from the 100' roll I only used 60' or so. So not wanting to throw out the 40' I had left over I kept it. Fast forward 5 years, we sold our house and I built a new shop, last weekend was the time to install new air lines so I broke out the 40' roll I had saved to start the installation. After sitting this long the line just snaps, it has become so brittle it wont bend, it just breaks(and no I'm not trying make 90's with it, just trying to straighten out the roll). I was pretty amazed at how quickly it deteriorated. It makes me think to myself how potentially unsafe this could be if under pressure and it were to get hit with anything. Just food for thought, I'm not nearly as impressed with the 1/2" product as I was a few years ago.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Jeff,

I'm in almost the exact same situation only I have probably around 25' of 1/2" left from my old shop. It's been coiled up for almost 10 years, so it sounds like i need to temper my expectations for using it. I'm probably a month or so from getting to that part of my shop, but I'll post an update one way or the other when I do.

Charlie

It might be worth the effort to launch a call or email to the company to let them know of the problem you encountered and see what their response and advise is. Yes, after all that time, there's not likely any recourse on the snapping material, but you may get and explanation or advise on how to preserve extra material that you can pass on here.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maybe set it in the sun and warm it up , it could behave better ? But yeah , doesn't sound good .

Jeff's report makes me question the advisability of using this product at all. I don't want my installation to degenerate and become questionable after only 5 years.

Jeff,

The same thing happened to me with a partial roll of 1/2" left over, also about 5 years old. I called the company. They shipped me a new 100ft roll for no charge.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    So I have been a big supporter of rapid air for my air lines in my home shop and at work. I use the 3/4" product in my shop at work and the 1/2" product in my home shop. So the story here... I installed 1/2" in my home shop 5 years ago, from the 100' roll I only used 60' or so. So not wanting to throw out the 40' I had left over I kept it. Fast forward 5 years, we sold our house and I built a new shop, last weekend was the time to install new air lines so I broke out the 40' roll I had saved to start the installation. After sitting this long the line just snaps, it has become so brittle it wont bend, it just breaks(and no I'm not trying make 90's with it, just trying to straighten out the roll). I was pretty amazed at how quickly it deteriorated. It makes me think to myself how potentially unsafe this could be if under pressure and it were to get hit with anything. Just food for thought, I'm not nearly as impressed with the 1/2" product as I was a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Jeff,

The same thing happened to me with a partial roll of 1/2" left over, also about 5 years old. I called the company. They shipped me a new 100ft roll for no charge.

JKJ
    Did they offer any explanation or say that things had improved over the years? It sounds like they went above and beyond with the 100' roll, but it also sounds like I wouldn't want to install 100' of it in my shop.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    Did they offer any explanation or say that things had improved over the years? It sounds like they went above and beyond with the 100' roll, but it also sounds like I wouldn't want to install 100' of it in my shop.
    Thats my concern also. I had purchased another 100' a month ago as I wanted a fairly large run in my new setup so wanting a free 100' is not on my list. I just dont think or know if I want the stuff if it has a limited shelf life. I run 140lbs of pressure in my system, seeing the way this stuff snaped apart is very concerning with that kind of pressure. I'm going to see how much extra switching to the 3/4" will run me. As I stated originally I use 3/4" in my shop that I make a living in, I have about 20' of that product left over, so I unrolled that this am and it still is like new, obviously comparing the 2 is apples to bowling balls. I will also reach out to them via email just so they can document another case, I think they seriously need to rethink the composition of the plastic in their line before someone gets hurt.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Definitely not good to hear. They describe the product as "lasting for decades".

I replaced the 15 yr old "temporary" PVC lines which I never had an issue with rapid air......

I will definitely uncoil the remainder of what I have.

I have the 1/2" in my current garage, installed 3 years ago. Some pieces of that came from my TX garage that was installed 7 years ago. None of this had any tight bends, but I did straighten a few pieces with 20" radius 90 degree bends.

Just curious, how cold was the roll when you started straightening it, your location is listed as North Dakota, and was it stored near a furnace or other device.

Many years ago, I read a few threads about not storing motorcycle tires near furnaces or similar household appliances as this could affect the material of the tire. Just wondered if something similar may have happened to your spare coil.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post

Just curious, how cold was the roll when you started straightening it, your location is listed as North Dakota, and was it stored near a furnace or other device.
    The roll had been sitting in my heated shop for the last 6 months. Prior to that 4 years in a heated shop and 6 months in a storage facility. It should have struck a cord when I removed the old product from my last home (the new owner did not want the lines left there). When removing long runs from my 9' ceilings it would snap off at the ceiling clamp when you let it hang, also I had a couple pieces snap when I tried to bend them to fit in the back of my truck, I didnt put 2 and 2 together then as I was more concerned with moving. My old system lived a pretty nice life, never below 60 degrees and seldom over 90, I dont think its a location or seasonal issue myself.

This is the response from rapid air.

Jeff
    Unfortunately, the ½ rapid air tubing will only have a life span of around 3-5 years, especially if you need to bend it or flex it, and if it is in areas years the temps will vary a lot through the years. The maxline is a good alternative as the life span will be around 50 years.

Thank you

Well, that does it for me. I will not be using the Rapidair kit in my new shop. I am not interested in Maxair either. If the company will put out a product that is used for permanent installation but only lasts 3-5 years, how can I believe they will make another product that will last 50 years? If I wanted a product that would disintegrate over time, I would just use PVC. It is time for me to rethink copper.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    I remember something about a change but not the details. The rest of the 100' they sent me has been sitting in the box for a couple of years now - I'll try to remember to check it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Definitely not good to hear. They describe the product as "lasting for decades".

I replaced the 15 yr old "temporary" PVC lines which I never had an issue with rapid air......

I will definitely uncoil the remainder of what I have.
    FWIW, I have had no problem with that I originally installed. For example, (so far) the fittings haven't started leaking and nothing has cracked or shattered. Of course, I don't flex the lines I installed. If it starts falling apart I'd probably tear it all out and put in copper or something.

Note that my leftovers didn't get brittle enough to break but did get stiff so making a new sealed connection was difficult.

JKJ