Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: Pin Ball

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    494

    Pin Ball

    Yesterday, the wisdom of the day is keeping the curve on the virus low and prolonging it out a bit longer to keep our healthcare system from being overwhelmed by a huge spike. Most of us are complying by social distancing, hand washing, etc.etc. Fed gov't took steps to shut down borders, many states have stay at home mandates, schools are closed, the list goes on. Now, it seems today's wisdom is opening up the country and business by Easter Sunday, because "people want to go back to work" which is true. Sometimes though peoples desires are secondary to peoples safety. I just cannot keep up with what to me seems like a pin ball type policy that changes on a dime and is not imo consistent. Shaking my head in confusion.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    52,927
    I think we can all agree that things are a moving target, but it's pretty clear that this particular topic is going to devolve into the political pretty quickly which is not permitted here. Let's not go there--and it will be hard. I'll leave this open for now, but the moderators and administrators will quickly make it disappear if our very sensible rules are, um...avoided.

    Jim
    Forum Moderator

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I think we can all agree that things are a moving target, but it's pretty clear that this particular topic is going to devolve into the political pretty quickly which is not permitted here. Let's not go there--and it will be hard. I'll leave this open for now, but the moderators and administrators will quickly make it disappear if our very sensible rules are, um...avoided.

    Jim
    Forum Moderator
    Fair enough, Jim. I have no problem with the rules, delete if you are inclined, no bad feelings.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Longview WA
    Posts
    21,608
    Blog Entries
    1
    Now, it seems today's wisdom is opening up the country and business by Easter Sunday, because "people want to go back to work" which is true.
    Jon, The "wisdom" of going back to work is not coming from medical professionals.

    We are currently in a medical crisis. The advice from medical professionals will be my guide.

    jtk

    -Hopefully my self editing while typing this is non-political enough.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Longview WA
    Posts
    21,608
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just got back from a little walk into the kitchen and saw some commentary on the TV.

    This reminds me of a story about how millions in the public were panicked on the evening of October 30, 1938. Orson Welles broadcast his now infamous War of the Worlds program.

    It makes me wonder how many of those panicked citizens thought to change the station to verify the story? Probably not many.

    To have useful information, it must be verified. Even my favorite sources of information may get it wrong at times. Sometimes in the heat of news program production a story will run without proper verification. It almost always results in something being missed or misstated.

    When something doesn't sound right, check multiple sources.

    There are many sources who are very diligent in upholding their reputations for accuracy.

    jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Just got back from a little walk into the kitchen and saw some commentary on the TV.

    This reminds me of a story about how millions in the public were panicked on the evening of October 30, 1938. Orson Welles broadcast his now infamous War of the Worlds program.

    It makes me wonder how many of those panicked citizens thought to change the station to verify the story? Probably not many.

    To have useful information, it must be verified. Even my favorite sources of information may get it wrong at times. Sometimes in the heat of news program production a story will run without proper verification. It almost always results in something being missed or misstated.

    When something doesn't sound right, check multiple sources.

    There are many sources who are very diligent in upholding their reputations for accuracy.

    jtk

    We all need to do our research and arrive at our own opinions / beliefs. There are very responsible (and of course irresponsible) news outlets on the left, the right and in the center. The responsible ones are trying to be honest and forthright about their reporting. Policy differences will be an influence which is why I try to get info from various outlets: Fox, MSNBC, Wall Street Journal, Wash Post, etc etc. Sooner or later I need to decide what to believe so I may as well be as informed as possible.
    If it wasn't for the "last minute", nothing would ever get done.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    494
    Fox Town Hall Meeting, 3/24/20

  8. #8
    All I will say is this, you look at the facts and make your own conclusions. The facts as they stand today are that the USA as over 53,000 cases of Covid-19, and almost 700 deaths. Compare that to the numbers from the CDC from previous years and determine whether the response is proportional.

    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...x9xIZiSY8viYJo

    Last years flu season alone was mild with 450K cases and over 30,000 deaths.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-24-2020 at 7:07 PM. Reason: Changed to the proper name for the virus

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    Fox Town Hall Meeting, 3/24/20
    I doubt that the other networks are going to carry that important Presidential event.

    It's interesting that the networks are starting to avoid these "press conferences" unless medical professionals (or other serious people) are allowed to weigh in at the podium?

  10. #10
    Unfortunately, on TV the wrong person is doing the talking. Step aside, and let the experts (doctors) do the talking.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Clarks Summit PA
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Unfortunately, on TV the wrong person is doing the talking. Step aside, and let the experts (doctors) do the talking.
    Good point Bruce. The vast majority of medical experts strongly recommend a shut down. This is clear. Non medical experts like to blab on and on.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    All I will say is this, you look at the facts and make your own conclusions. The facts as they stand today are that the USA as over 53,000 cases of Covid-19, and almost 700 deaths. Compare that to the numbers from the CDC from previous years and determine whether the response is proportional.

    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...x9xIZiSY8viYJo

    Last years flu season alone was mild with 450K cases and over 30,000 deaths.
    I'm not sure where you're getting 450K cases. The CDC page you linked says that annual flu cases average between 9 million and 45 million and last year's estimate was about 36 million flu illnesses.

    If what you are trying to do is make a proportionality argument by comparing conventional flu to Covid-19, then take the fatality rate of 1% that Italy is experiencing, and you will see the number of deaths would be 360,000 in comparison to the 30,000 you're referencing. And it gets worse if you accept the fact that Covid-19 is more contagious with the potential to infect many more people than the conventional flu. The concern and reaction to it is not the number of lives it has claimed thus far, but what the potential looks like it could be if it escalated unchecked.

    Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 03-24-2020 at 9:37 PM.

  13. #13
    You guys just need to do your own news. Anyone with a working VCR can turn out valuable info on what's REALLY
    happening. And update as needed. The world needs your smartness NOW! Thanks!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    You guys just need to do your own news. Anyone with a working VCR can turn out valuable info on what's REALLY
    happening. And update as needed. The world needs your smartness NOW! Thanks!
    Working VCR? I must not understand what you're getting at.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    You guys just need to do your own news. Anyone with a working VCR can turn out valuable info on what's REALLY
    happening. And update as needed. The world needs your smartness NOW! Thanks!
    And thank you for your thoughtful input.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •