Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pin Ball

As far as I know the orders to close non-essential businesses, stay at home and such have been issued by state governments, not the federal government. I don't believe the feds can rescind orders made by state governments, so I think it will be up to the governors in the states that are locked down. Certainly the federal government is able to put political or funding or assistance pressure on states, but I think the governors of the states that are locked down are clear in their own minds about what they need to do to avoid making the crisis worse. I am trying not to be political in this post, but merely to express my (albeit limited and perhaps incorrect) understanding of which parts of government have which powers.

My thoughts on this is that there is no play book for any of this. There is no rule book for shutting down an entire country.
    I feel everyone is just trying to do their best. Try and find a balance.
    I'm a Clinical engineer for a hospital and I know 100% we didn't have a policy or guideline for something like this. I've NEVER seen doctors so scared to go into a patient's room like I saw today. He was talking to the patient in ICU through the glass door. Most of the time we have to yell at the doctor to put on proper PPE before going into an isolation room but he wouldn't step foot in there today.

Being in Florida I would have to compare this in a small way to a hurricane. People panic, people hoard, and businesses shut down
    But there's one big difference. With a hurricane there's a climax to the problem. Surviving the eye of the hurricane is the goal and from there you can guarantee things will start getting better. With this there is no foreseeable goal, no climax. Just dome and gloom. Today a goal was mentioned to give people somethings to achieve. People need goals in life. Whether it was the right things to do is anyone's guess.

Personally I finally figured out a way to describe all this.
    "I feel like I'm dreaming a twilight or sci fi movie. There's no way any of it can be real, but I'm starting to panic because I can't wake up."
    Last edited by Jeff Body; 03-24-2020 at 10:31 PM.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Good point Bruce. The vast majority of medical experts strongly recommend a shut down. This is clear. Non medical experts like to blab on and on.
    This might be the most important article the New York Times has ever published:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/h...ctions-us.html

It's not behind a paywall (the Times is good about stuff like that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post

2020-03-25_07h33_37.jpg behind a paywall for me. Wish I could read it.

edit - not enough coffee - I see the free account note now.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Die for the Dow!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Die for the Dow!

Only if you are the Lt Gov of Texas. He's going to sacrifice himself for all of us. What a guy!!
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    2020-03-25_07h33_37.jpg behind a paywall for me. Wish I could read it.

edit - not enough coffee - I see the free account note now.
    You can forego signing up to read it. Look in the url address bar at the top of your browser window. Look for the mobile reader icon someplace in that bar, on my iPad Safari browser it looks like a small rectangle with several lines going across. Click on it.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Only if you are the Lt Gov of Texas. He's going to sacrifice himself for all of us. What a guy!!
    “And those of us who are 70 plus, we’ll take care of ourselves. But don’t sacrifice the country.” - Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (quote from Dallas Morning News, 24 March 2020)

He doesn't say he'll sacrifice himself or anyone else, merely suggesting that he (we) will be responsible for himself (ourselves). Clearly an alien concept. Unfortunately.

I expect everyone either has something to do to with their free time or they are looking for some kind of activity. You can't watch but so much television, it will drive you crazy

The time of year for me means its time to service machines, get them ready for the tasks ahead. I spent two days doing maintenance on my Polaris RZR ATV and now have my lawn mower in the shop for at least two days. Next will be the tractor and my ancient International Cub-Cadet. By the time I get these machines ready for war it will be time to start cutting grass again, sweeping gum balls and other spring cleanup tasks. Once things settle down I think Jackie and I will be installing new floor tiles in the kitchen and then move to other home projects to stay busy.

I am semi-retired which makes the situation much less of a concern about working an outside job and that is a blessing. I had already completed all of the sign projects I had intended to do this Winter and was getting ready for trail riding season. Unfortunately the Governor of West Virginia has shut down all of the Hatfield McCoy trail systems and depending on the duration of the quarantine I may not get to ride this Spring. Another unfortunate situation, I only got to ride one time last Fall do to medical problems and I don't ride in the heat of the Summer.

My saving grace is that I have a workshop that is always available to keep me active and the work is always good for the soul. Along with woodworking projects I also do some metal work, I have been working on a pulverizer implement for my tractor for many months on and off, it would be nice to finish this job and move to the next. I also just received four 48" long LED strips that I will install in my van to light up the interior...another job I have been wanting to get done for many months.

I hope all of you will be able to stay busy and somehow enjoy your time at home. If you own a very old home like I do I know you will be able to use the time wisely
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-25-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I also just received four 48" long LED strips that I will install in my van to light up the interior...
    What in the world???
    Are you making a mobile grow house? That's alot of lighting.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Keith, you bring up a good point...spring maintenance season really is here, for both machinery and "cleanup". Of course, the weather has to cooperate...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I expect everyone either has something to do to with their free time or they are looking for some kind of activity. You can't watch but so much television, it will drive you crazy ........

.... hope all of you will be able to stay busy and somehow enjoy your time at home. If you own a very old home like I do I know you will be able to use the time wisely
    Adding electricity to my “shed” I put up last summer. I am allowed to do my own wiring as long as I pass a “homeowner” electric test (I did) and have it permitted and inspected.

Unfortunately, our home’s previous owner finished off the basement years after it was built. He did nice work, but he built a bedroom in the area of the service panel, enclosing it in the closet and recessing it in the wall. Obviously he didn’t permit his work.
    The AHJ said when they inspect my work those issues must be addressed. So, a simple wire pull has turned into a minor remodel project.

Figured as long as I was ripping into walls I would upgrade the existing 60 amp sub panel that feeds the garage to allow for future auto charging stations (looking at a Tesla or similar). And, I intend to add a generator inlet to back feed my panel with an interlock.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post

For anyone who is having trouble, go to news.google.com and type in "the virus can be stopped but only with harsh steps" to the search bar, it will take you right there. I tested this on a remote machine.

I think we underestimate how many people are still working. The categories of essential are pretty broad, and at least in my city, includes construction and home services. So lawn care, landscaping, deliveries, roofing, homebuilding and home repairs, are all still going on, as long as they maintain social distance. Everyone I know who works in an office environment - on computer and phone - is working from home. As I understand our stay-at-home order, even non-essential work can be done if it is done at home or with proper social distancing. Per media reports, rural areas are not acting much differently than they were before.

Building trades, etc., are idled here, other than for necessary repair work. No new construction; no renovation, etc. Companies doing service work, such as HVAC, all have distancing and other safety procedures in place, including "no homeowner supervision" of the work. Real estate firms did get a waiver to keep already scheduled closings on track, but with modifications, such as only the buyers and sellers (separately) signing papers with the closing agent in a tent in a parking lot with the Realtors required to stay in their vehicles...minimal human interaction. Work from home is very much permitted. Businesses with Internet sales operations can continue, but store fronts are closed.

My good friend who is a general contractor is using the time to tie more fishing flies...something he's really into and very good at.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...