Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe a case against Robust tool rests?

My friends have joked that I have a complete set of Robust tool rests and I protest that I am still missing a few. Needless to say, I really like them and prefer them to the other cast iron rests that I have.

I want to comment regarding denting the hardened steel bar. Yes, I have had catches that were violent enough that I dented my Robust tool rest. My lack of skill is the real problem and fortunately I don't have a lot of them. One dent in particular was bothersome and I spent a while with my sharpening stones to smooth it out. It was easily smoothed out and is used on many of my turnings.

Cheers,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Edwards View Post
    ...Personally, I like how my hand fits into the Robust rests and help guide the cut...
    I do as well. I have some of the comfort and some of the low profile and usually prefer the low profile.

But I learned a new technique a couple of years ago. A fairly new student found a perfect use for the 15" comfort rest while turning the dish of a small dished platter. The wings make good technique especially useful and as a beginner she was just developing good tool control. Where I would normally use the 9" low profile rest for this cut, she put the 15" comfort rest across the face. Where I used my fingers and hand on the rest to guide the tool she put her forearm in the curve of the rest and made cuts across the face cleaner than some with long experience!

(I think I posted this once or twice before.)
    Cutting with the small Hunter Hercules tool.

Kristina_platter_IMG_20171203_174739_798.jpg

Did an amazing job too. (This was her first "real" project after spindle lessons and a couple of practice bowls.)
    I think this young turner is pickier than me and has an eye for the tiniest defects.

Kristina_platter_finished_comp3.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    If the Robust stem really does get in your way, you can rotate it 180 degrees and have the offset face the bowl. Then you have all the room you want to drop the handle.
    This won't work because the curve in the Robust would put the top of the toolrest farther away from the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    Looked at the Advanced tool rests on line. Do they have the nice curvature for the hand to rest in that some of the Robust’s do?
    No they are not curved, the curve adds height. This must be one of the reasons I like Advanced since I can put the end of the rest farther into a small opening than Robust. It's easy to slide my finger along the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    And when I clicked on the link at the bottom of this page http://advancedlathetools.com/lathe-tool-rests/ to show me the set of small rests it doesn't.

BTW, I didn't check every price but I don't see the "only about $5 more than Robust". I compared the rest I use the most, the Robust 9", and the Advanced 9" rest is $11 more. My next favorite size, 15", is not on their price list. They do have a 16" rest at $36 more and a 14" at $16 more.
    Looks like a broken link. The first Advanced rest I bought was 6", it's only $2 more than Robust 6" ($55 vs $53). The following year I bought a 9" Advanced ($70 vs $59). At the time I remember there only being a $5 or so difference (maybe it was $8?). Even at today's prices I would pay $11 more for a thicker rod and more robust (no pun intended) design. I took a class at Craft Supplies years ago and one of the students had a catch or something and the top rod on his Robust rest popped off. It was more than a "pop", you could hear it across the room. Maybe that was an early rest where Robust glued on the rod instead of weld? IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    As for welding to the top of the bar or welding to a groove/recess for the bar, I don't think that there would be any structural difference. The hardened drill rod doesn't add to the strength of the system. robo hippy
    Sorry Reed, I disagree. Structurally there is no way a rod welded to the top of anything is going to have the same strength as a rod welded into a channel. More contact surface around the rod in a channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Edwards View Post
    I don't see the "based on Steve Sinner's design" part at all. They look completely different and feel very different in use. Yes, they both have a hardened rod, and I think Advanced was actually first in the market, but individuals have been putting hardened rods on top of toolrests for years. I think if you ask Steve, he'll even tell you who he got the idea from. Personally, I like how my hand fits into the Robust rests and help guide the cut, but to each their own. I think they are both quality tools.
    When I talked to Steve at a Symposium last year, he's the one that told me Robust was based off of the Advanced (referring to the rod). Brent and Steve used to work together or something like that and then Brent went off on his own and started the Robust company and made his own version of the rest. Steve has been making the Advanced rest for longer than Robust has, he just doesn't have the marketing that Robust has which is why some people might not have heard of Advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gilbert View Post
    I want to comment regarding denting the hardened steel bar. Yes, I have had catches that were violent enough that I dented my Robust tool rest. My lack of skill is the real problem and fortunately I don't have a lot of them. One dent in particular was bothersome and I spent a while with my sharpening stones to smooth it out. It was easily smoothed out and is used on many of my turnings.

Cheers,
    David
    I also dented my Robust rest. I used to own a 6" and 9" Robust Comfort Rest and sold both when I bought a 6" and 9" Advanced. I've heard several professional turners say they get vibration with Robust rests and not with Advanced. We had a pro demoing for our club a couple years ago and he wanted a smaller rest for what he was doing (smaller than the standard Powermatic rest). Our club has different size Robust rests and when I asked the pro what size he wanted, he reached into his bag and pulled out an Advanced rest and said "I don't need a different rest, I need a better rest".

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    ... and one of the students had a catch or something and the top rod on his Robust rest popped off. It was more than a "pop", you could hear it across the room. Maybe that was an early rest where Robust glued on the rod instead of weld? IDK....
    That must have been the early design. I heard reports of some rods popping free from the epoxy when someone dropped the rest on the floor. All I have are welded with what looks like painted epoxy filler in the crevice between the lower quadrant of the rod and the top of the steel rest.

I'm wondering if Pat Scott and David Gilbert could do a small experiment and provide me some info. Could you folks who have dented a supposedly hardened drill rod do a "file test" to confirm that the drill rod is indeed hardened. I bought an A2 drill rod from McMaster Carr and found that it was fully annealed (i.e., soft as a common nail). That surprised me. It never dawned on me that I would have to heat treat supposed drill rod.

If the file just "skitters" off the rod is hard. If it digs in at all, it is less than fully hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I'm wondering if Pat Scott and David Gilbert could do a small experiment and provide me some info. Could you folks who have dented a supposedly hardened drill rod do a "file test" to confirm that the drill rod is indeed hardened. I bought an A2 drill rod from McMaster Carr and found that it was fully annealed (i.e., soft as a common nail). That surprised me. It never dawned on me that I would have to heat treat supposed drill rod.

If the file just "skitters" off the rod is hard. If it digs in at all, it is less than fully hard.
    I haven't dented one but I tried the file test a couple of years ago on a Robust rest and the rod was hardened.

When I buy tool steel it has been annealed. I assumed it was so I could machine it.
    I usually buy from Online Metals. Their tool steel pages don't specifically say "this is annealed" but describe the properties such as dimensional stability during hardening, which to me implied the need for hardening.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post

Adding to that I wonder if the reason Robust originally epoxied rods in place instead of welding them was because of possibly annealing the hardened steel. I'm curious enough that I plan to do a hardness test on the Advanced and Robust rods when getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    This won't work because the curve in the Robust would put the top of the toolrest farther away from the work.

No they are not curved, the curve adds height. This must be one of the reasons I like Advanced since I can put the end of the rest farther into a small opening than Robust. It's easy to slide my finger along the rest.
    Sure it will work, just don't line up the post with the surface you are cutting. The space may not optimal, but it will work.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 03-27-2020 at 4:21 PM.

I just received the Robust and Advanced tool rests ordered a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to use any of them yet but all seem to be well made. Advanced kicked up theirs a notch by chamfering the post ends and polishing all of the bare metal surfaces, nicely done IMO. The Advanced rests are definitely heavier and have a larger diameter top round bar. I first thought the bar (not round) below and behind the top rounded edge of the Advanced rest would be cumbersome but it seems like a comfortable place to rest the forefinger. Oddly enough it doesn't seem to get in the way. I'm anxious to give all of them a workout.

I did the file test on the tool rest drill rod. It was clearly hardened but not extremely hardened. I have used O1 tool steel to make some tools and after heat treating a file won't even scratch the steel. At that point the steel is also very brittle. I normally temper the new tool at 375 - 400 degrees F for a while. At that point it is hard enough to use and a file will scratch it but it's not brittle. When I honed out my dent, a file wouldn't work but an India sharpening stone did a fine job.

I still love my Robust tool rests.

Be safe,
    David

I too love these tool rests and have a few. My finger fits nicely in the groove. Nice and smooth and good control. I highly recommend them.
    John T.

I took a look at the Advanced tool rest web site. I was surprised to read from their website that the bar on the top of the tool rest is "case hardened". I have case hardened a few things as an experiment. It worked. In short, you heat the low-carbon part and gaseous carbon migrates into the outer surface of the steel part. The thickness of the hardening can generally be as thick as 0.060". But that isn't terribly thick. If you get a nick, yes, use a diamond file on it. But don't remove too much material.

In general a larger diameter rod on a toolrest is not as good because it puts your tool pivot point that much further away from the wood.

Curiosity got the better of me so I tested the top rail hardness on Robust, Advanced and other tool rests. The softest of the bunch at about 40 HRC was an old serpentine shaped rest probaby made out of cast iron. The ductile iron rests by Oneway (painted white) were only slightly harder. The Oneway curved rests (stainless?) were a little harder at about 45 HRC. The Robust and Advanced rests were about 60 - 65 HRC between where the top rail was welded onto the body. Near the welds the material got noticeably softer and dropped to about 50 - 55 HRC I suspect due annealing caused by the welding heat. Perhaps that's the reason Robust chose to epoxy their top rails on initially. Don't take too much stock in my findings as I'm not that well schooled in hardness testing.

I'm impressed that you were able to measure Rockwell hardness.

Were you using an indentation method or a file method? Just curious.

Also, I found it very interesting the you confirmed my suspicion that the weld areas would be softer. I was wondering about that. It would be possible to re-heat treat the entire tool rest but it would be kind of a nuisance and would either need to be done in an inert oven or scale would need to be dealt with.

I bought a 3' length of A2 drill rod from McMaster Carr and was surprised that it came fully annealed (very soft). So, I'll need to heat treat it first. I am contemplating tack welding in just on the ends and then adding a fillet of epoxy or JB-weld. That way it is more likely to stay in place if I drop it.

Thanks for this interesting feedback.
    Last edited by Brice Rogers; 03-31-2020 at 10:22 PM.