Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entry door hardware

Entry door hardware

I will be beginning a double entry door project very soon and while there is a lot of great info on the door construction itself I have not been able to find much about the hardware. I will build it on a stave core and will use mahogany.

I would like to ask the door builders here about specific products (brands, sources) you use. What method do you use to secure the more stationary door? I see some discussion on another forum about double Euro type hardware but not sure I need it as much. We have several sliders and other potential entry points that a would be intruder might find easier to use than an entry door but would, of course, like some adequate way of securing the door.

I also want to get advice on the threshold to use. The doors we have now are not the best quality (metal doors from HD) but the thresholds seem fine. Is there a big difference in these?

Finally, what about hinges. What's your preference? I have some stainless ones on a gate build from Hillman Hardware and they are fine but would like to see what high quality hinges you all prefer.

I built a large entry door unit for our new house a few years ago. As it was was my first time I did extensive research and have documented the build here too (stave core using Honduras Mahogany, 2.25" thick, 42"x96", plus side lights of 16" wide each). I used 4 5" hinges. As for threshold I bought one and modified it to fit my build. All your questions are answered in the following threads.
    The first few threads you find my questions along with some good answers.
    After 6 years it's hold up great in our harsh climate.
    The last thread is the build.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ns)&highlight=
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....mbs&highlight=
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....s-)&highlight=

n1.jpg

I always use ball bearing hinges on entry doors.

Blog Entries
    The weak point on most entry doors is the door jamb. They are generally 3/4" material with a sizable hole or two drilled near the inside edge.

Thanks for the links, I will read thru them.

So skimming thru those posts I see a lot of good info already, but nothing I saw about double entry doors and hardware to secure them.

Anyone here make a double entry door?

It's been a long time since I made a double entry door. I used Baldwin hardware then, and I think Stanley ball bearing hinges. That was decades ago though.

Blog Entries

I've only made one. You'll need an astragal on the semi fixed door so you can use a good bulb seal and make it air tight. I used two flush mount bolts since the single door was plenty wide for traffic. I think you can get an automatic one that releases both bolts when the main door opens. I used a white oak custom threshold, with internal automatic door sweeps on the doors.

Regardless of maker with today's concerns it should be bare copper or brass handles with no finish on the exposed metal.
    Bil lD

Joe, You didn't say what style of hardware you want.
    Check out House of Antique Hardware.
    https://www.houseofantiquehardware.c...-door-hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I've only made one. You'll need an astragal on the semi fixed door so you can use a good bulb seal and make it air tight. I used two flush mount bolts since the single door was plenty wide for traffic. I think you can get an automatic one that releases both bolts when the main door opens. I used a white oak custom threshold, with internal automatic door sweeps on the doors.
    Thank you, that's what I was looking for. Ours is plenty wide as well and the semi-fixed door would rarely need to open.

Thank you, very helpful and the reason I asked only for what experienced builders used.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    Joe, You didn't say what style of hardware you want.
    Check out House of Antique Hardware.
    https://www.houseofantiquehardware.c...-door-hardware
    Yes, sorry. Nickel satin finish and as unobtrusive as possible.

Every time I replace a commercial double with a new door I steal the passive door locking hardware before I chuck it. It is relitively easy to machine a new door to accept the hardware from a modern three point locking system, slightly out of character if you are going for OLD, but can only be seen when the door is open. The hardware is usually in good shape. If I need period specific stuff I go to the website previously posted, they are good to deal with.

I use roller bearing hinges as well, never a specific brand and have never had issues with hinges. 6'8" door I do 3 4 1/2" hinges, up to 8'0" I use four, and over that I will go to 5 hinges. Like I said, never had good hinges fail, and the increase in hinges is more to keep the door in check than me worrying about hinge failure. Heaviest door was a 3' thick built up door in 7' height, weighed over 300 pounds, was 42" wide and I used 4 hinges. Door is in a popular bar/restaurant and has 28 years of opening and closing on the original hinges, 4 1/2' needle bearing hinges.

I get my doors seals from environmental engineering. Sometimes I buy new aluminum sills in black if conditions are going to be wet. Yes it is not period correct, but they do not rot and in black are unobtrusive. I have had them made from stone as well when setting a door in a masonry structure.

Have fun with it. One word of caution. Make sure your glueup surface is flat and HAS NO TWIST.