Thread: Trying to identify this Oak

Trying to identify this Oak

I have some Oak that is very dark compared to other pieces I have. Any help trying to identify would be greatly appreciated. narrow piece 2nd from bottom.

Thanks. BrianDark Oak.jpg.jpg

Looks like white oak on the bottom to me and the narrow strip may be the same, but just cut different. Any species can have variability in color from tree to tree.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

White oak is my vote for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Looks like white oak on the bottom to me and the narrow strip may be the same, but just cut different. Any species can have variability in color from tree to tree.
    Jim, Both are quartersawn. narrower piece is a completely different color, many shades darker. I'm trying to figure it out so I can by more to match. thanks. brian

As Jim says, white oak.
    White oak ranges from creamy to olive, sometimes in the same board.

Another vote for White Oak. We have White Oak flooring with a clear finish and the color varies tremendously from board to board and withn a board.

I think I've read there are over 500 species of oak around the world. Commercially they are sold as either red or white. There is going to be a wide range of colors!

I have some pieces of white oak that are that color.

I've had white oak in a chocolate color--that dark.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jim, my apologies for questioning your advice. Once again I learn how little I know.

Thanks to everyone. Brian

Chestnut Oak is graded pretty much across the board as White Oak and has a much warmer/browner tone. I would guess the darker is Chesnut Oak. I dont care for White Oak at all personally but I really do like the color tone of Chestnut Oak. The hard part is with them being graded together you rarely (Ive never seen it) can buy just Chesnut Oak unless you get it from a custom sawyer.

I understand that “white oak” is a family, not a singular tree. Bur white oak, Chestnut white oak, Oregon white oak ...

Regards from Perth (where we have Tasmanian oak, a eucalyptus )

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I understand that “white oak” is a family, not a singular tree. Bur white oak, Chestnut white oak, Oregon white oak ...

Regards from Perth (where we have Tasmanian oak, a eucalyptus )

Derek
    Absolutely... the hard part at least around here is that no one separates any of it. Its all graded as "white oak" though when you get into primo material and sometimes Q&R they are graded for color as well. I have long looked for a source of Chestnut Oak specifically and no mill I have spoken with even considers any of the individual white oaks independent of each other. The larger jobs Ive done with Chestnut Oak we had to saw on our small mill and dry ourselves.

Brian, the bottom piece appears to be chestnut white oak. The narrower board above it appears to be quercus alba (white oak).

The change in growth ring direction exhibited by the narrow board makes me think that it's either from a butt log (where the log widened out into the root ball) or a flare where it branched out.

In my area we have around 13 different species of white oak, and the color and grain can vary significantly.

Brian
    If you need rot resistance you will need to test for open tyloses. Other than that you will just need to examine the wood for grain and color.