Thread: Charging batteries in my tablet

Blog Entries

Charging batteries in my tablet

I have a couple on Amazon fire tablets. Is it OK to charge them over night even if they are at say at 45% or should I wait until they get lower, say 10% ?
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I have a couple on Amazon fire tablets. Is it OK to charge them over night even if they are at say at 45% or should I wait until they get lower, say 10% ?
    I charge my gadgets whenever they get below 60% - 70% and I think about it. The 'let it discharge most of the way before recharging it' came from the NiCad days where batteries developed a 'memory'. Li X batteries used in modern devices don't develop a memory. They do have a recharge lifetime but from what I've read that is not a firm number. A battery might last 500 charge cycles from nearly exhausted, 1000 charge cycles from 50% exhausted etc. I don't know how true that is. Here is a source of info about Lithium based batteries:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries

I charge my Fire tablets whenever I think about it. Sometimes overnight, sometimes for a partial re-charge. I've had mine for nearly two years and have not noticed any battery issues.

Current battery technology is generally fine with more frequent charging if you want to. I do let my Kindle Paperwhite go down to 20% or less before I plug that in, but there's no harm in charging sooner. Leaving something on charge "all the time" over a long period of time isn't the best idea, but many of us do it anyway...such as the laptop that serves as my desktop computer that I'm typing on "as we speak". But even there, I can expect a good five years of life before having to have the battery replaced.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The only time I let them go all the way down is when I forget to charge them.
    Normally I leave them plugged in overnight.

As Jim said, batteries these days are smart and can be plugged in as long as you want. I find that tablets take longer to charge the phones, so they are usually plugged in overnight.