Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • in the drill/brace

1 8.33%
  • take out, place in a box/rack

11 91.67%

Thread: Leave the bit in, or not?

Leave the bit in, or not?

When you put that brace and bit away...do you take the bit out? Or, leave the drill set up for the next time?

Or...do you have a separate rack for the bits, and take the freshly used bit out of the brace, and place it back in the rack?

Bit goes back in the box, brace hangs on the rack.

I put my tools away, so I can find them.

Steve, I think that most people here do not have the large number of braces that you have, so, unless they need a specific bit, it is probably coming off. If I know that I will need to drill more of the same in the immediate future, it will stay in, otherwise, it comes off. I have few bits for it, so I treat them very carefully and they are packed away and stored. My brace is also placed back in its drawer. Did I mention that I do not have a bunch of braces or bits?

I don't use a brace but if I did the bit would come off when the brace gets put away. Bits always come off and go back in their storage when I finish with them.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Blog Entries
    I never leave bit in the brace.

I have 2 bits that are always in their brace.....a countersink and a pilot hole bit....the other 4 braces I'll be keeping in the cabinet, might be a "bit" too big...

( Andrew, IF you NEED a brace or two....sneak over here, and pick out one...I seem to have a few "spares"....)

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I have 2 bits that are always in their brace.....a countersink and a pilot hole bit....the other 4 braces I'll be keeping in the cabinet, might be a "bit" too big...

( Andrew, IF you NEED a brace or two....sneak over here, and pick out one...I seem to have a few "spares"....)
    When all this passes over, I might ply you with Mexican Food and Alcohol until you give up a brace and ply me with tales!

For sure a countersink would get a lot of use so it makes sense.

I have at least one each, of the Fray/Spofford chuck style braces. Each has an appropriate sized center bit already chucked in, one has a countersink and one has a straight screwdriver bit. I much prefer this style of brace to ratchet style (of which I have many). Of the ratchet, no bits are left chucked, but then again, I generally on use the 6" MF, with a screwdriver bit!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Well...out of 14 braces....have kept just 6 for the tool cabinet...
    Tool Cabinet build, long view.JPG
    There are two 6" sweeps with bits installed, there is an 8" sweep, a 10" sweep, a 12" sweep and the 14" Stanley trying to hide in the corner...

Bits left in? a Countersink, and a pilot hole bit....

Blog Entries
    If a bit is being used to drill a lot of the same size bore. My braces are never put away with a bit installed.

Brace Rack on Shelf.jpg

They wouldn't fit in their space with a bit installed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)