Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air filters for an air filtration system

Air filters for an air filtration system

Just picked up a Jet AFS1000B. Was wondering if the air filters I can get at a regular hardware store or big box store are as good as the JET made 5 micron dust filters?

I don't see why it would not work. If it fits and th micron reading is the same, go for it.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I did purchase Wynn filters once and his are MERV 8. MERV 8 is equivalent to FPR 5 so I just buy either FPR 5 or 7 from Home Depot. Seems to work great.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

The ones at Home Depot fit and work fine.
    Don

Most air filtration units have external filters and an internal pleated filter...the latter does most of the work. Replacements are available as most of these units are the same size and design, no matter what color they are and what label is on them. I bought a "no name" replacement from Woodcraft for my old JDS air filter a year or so ago, for example. The external filters on my unit are washable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have that Jet unit in my shop . I've been using 3M furnace filters for years . 12" X 24"

A lot of folks forget that internal pleated filter on these units. You can't just attend to the external 12x34 filter...that internal pleated filter is what does the real work. They external one just gets the "big pieces". The pleated filter is a royal pain in the you-know-what to clean, but it can be cleaned. It can also be replaced as I indicated above.
    --

A quick google check shows the inner pleated filter is “out of stock” just about everywhere! It used to be easy to find so I’m guessing people must have heard it filters out the Corona virus, lol.

I get my JDS filters from wynn environmental. They have the filters for the jet also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A lot of folks forget that internal pleated filter on these units. You can't just attend to the external 12x34 filter...that internal pleated filter is what does the real work. They external one just gets the "big pieces". The pleated filter is a royal pain in the you-know-what to clean, but it can be cleaned. It can also be replaced as I indicated above.
    I wonder if the internal filter on that Jet can be washed ? I've only ever hit mine with air , but have been told you could wash them .

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    I wonder if the internal filter on that Jet can be washed ? I've only ever hit mine with air , but have been told you could wash them .
    I'm trying hard to remember if I tried to actually "wash" my original JDS filter or not. I suspect I tried to "dry" clean it only, however, but that was pretty difficult because, well...it has lots of deep nooks and crannies. I was really happen when I found the replacement a year or so ago as it kicked performance back to where it needed to be. My filter is used primarily when I spray finishes (waterborne only) as there is a lot of fine solids suspended in the ambient are from the spraying process. That really does gunk up the pleated filter over time.
    --

Always great responses and insight here. Thanks all, I’ll spend my time trying to figure out how to clean that inner filter. There are cleanable outer filters out there that could save money in the long run on those outer filters.

My JDS internal filter is not washable. I doubt any of the other brands internal filters can be washed. The JDS electrostatic pre filter is washable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm trying hard to remember if I tried to actually "wash" my original JDS filter or not. I suspect I tried to "dry" clean it only, however, but that was pretty difficult because, well...it has lots of deep nooks and crannies. I was really happen when I found the replacement a year or so ago as it kicked performance back to where it needed to be. My filter is used primarily when I spray finishes (waterborne only) as there is a lot of fine solids suspended in the ambient are from the spraying process. That really does gunk up the pleated filter over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    My JDS internal filter is not washable. I doubt any of the other brands internal filters can be washed. The JDS electrostatic pre filter is washable.
    Thanks...I just didn't remember but I likely covered myself in dust while using compressed air to clean the original one.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Dolfo Picanco View Post
    Always great responses and insight here. Thanks all, I’ll spend my time trying to figure out how to clean that inner filter. There are cleanable outer filters out there that could save money in the long run on those outer filters.
    I’ve been vacuuming mine with my shop vac.