Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interested in hand tools but scared of sharpening? Hear me out on this!

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    And....we're off on yet another sharpening thread....
    We could always return to "Hoarders, why bother to store tools when you can buy another?"

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Guest View Post
    Most sharpening threads are just thinly veiled justification for a four-figure investment in honing and grinding gear. Inevitably someone will present photos in excruciating detail of adequately cut dovetails along with all the gear it supposedly took to prep the equipment they felt necessary to execute the dovetails in the photos. The only problem is that it doesn't take all of that stuff, and dovetails aren't that hard to do in the first place. Inevitably the irrefutable by lack of logic argument is made that "they would have used all of this had they had it" is made and then it just devolves from there. "They" of course meaning the master craftsmen of the past whose work we all know and love. The effectiveness of these arguments, generally, requires a gullible reader impressed by intermediate woodworking done at the torrid pace of two projects a year the success of which largely results from an unlimited budget in time, tools, and materials.
    Hey Charles, tell us how you really feel . LMAO, a great post.

BTW, with all my time at home now I've been watching a few of those videos and learning amazing things .

ken

I'll watch a few..until they turn into an Infomercial. The kind where they claim only a certain brand of tool can get the results, and without them, you just can't get a task done....

I have my own way of getting MY tools sharp.....and that is what matters..sharp.

Quit jousting at the Windmills of the Perfect Edge, and just get to work.....( was bad form, to critique the way a Headsman sharpened his ax....right before he used it)...I hear Charles Stuart bribed his...

Then there was the "The Riddle of Steel".....

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Hey Charles, tell us how you really feel . LMAO, a great post.

BTW, with all my time at home now I've been watching a few of those videos and learning amazing things .

ken
    Have fun Ken.