Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New woodworker with a question?

I’ve seen these on Craigslist for $1,000 or less in good working condition. For me it’s worth only parts for $100. It would be a big project.
    Regards,

Tom

looks like a 6-30 or 6-15 plug. So I say 15 or 30 amp. Most likely 30 amp.
    Bill D

https://www.generatorjoe.net/html/we...quailplug.html

I wouldn't pay $600 for it. For $300 to $400 you can get your money back by taking it apart and selling the parts on ebay. I've had good luck with using fine sandpaper and light oil with a rubber sanding block removing rust so the top wouldn't bother me. However I've been seeing a lot of cabinet saws selling for real cheap at local auctions around here. Of course they are well used.

It’s only missing bolts and is rusty. Mine came with much more rust than that and I had it running smooth in an hour. The bearings are probably fine unless there was water running into them. If he cleans it up and shows it to someone else, they’re going to get a deal.

Definitely worth 500 bucks easy.

Dan

That's the right plug; same as on mine.

But don't buy this saw. It was standing in the rain when you got there?

Reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    That's the right plug; same as on mine.

But don't buy this saw. It was standing in the rain when you got there?

Reconsider.
    It wasn't raining when I got there and he knew I was coming so he pulled it out on a cart. We fired it up and shortly after it started to rain. We covered it up at that point and he put back on the cart. There are a couple other saws in the area that are in better shape and come with a base and side table. They're asking more but have been sitting. I'm going to try to negotiate on those ones and see. The guy was nice enough but I've decided not to rush myself.

Thank you all for the advice and I look forward to being able to contribute in the future.

Blog Entries
    I jumper'd the motor to run on 240 volts. It makes a lot of difference on band saws and table saws.

8. Good luck shopping. I hope you find the deal you want. This one doesn't look too bad to me, but it is hard to tell what you will run in to when you start working on any used saw. Pricing is a tough call and depends largely on the local market. Offering him $400 doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

I would buy that thing. That saw is in great shape,the only thing that should even be considered is if the angle iron rail for the fence is there.Like I said before I have bought 5-6 of these saws from $150 -$1700 and none of them except the 1700 one looked as good as that one. If you pass and someone else buys it ,you are going to kick yourself. Don't let people talk you out of a great deal,the rust on that saw is nothing. Good luck.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    I would buy that thing. That saw is in great shape,the only thing that should even be considered is if the angle iron rail for the fence is there.Like I said before I have bought 5-6 of these saws from $150 -$1700 and none of them except the 1700 one looked as good as that one. If you pass and someone else buys it ,you are going to kick yourself. Don't let people talk you out of a great deal,the rust on that saw is nothing. Good luck.
    Some people really freak out over a little rust. I agree that it wouldn't worry me much. How quick it should be snapped up and what he should pay depends on the local market. If I needed a saw and that one was available here I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd offer less, but pay the ask if I had to. Apparently in some areas similar values come along frequently if reports I read are to be believed.

So I found this saw today and asking $750 firm. The lady said it was used by her hobbyist husband who passed away a few years ago. I'm aware that I may lose out on this if I wait too long but I don't have a ton of free time to woodwork, so $750 is a tough for me to spend. Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ty, there it is. Grab it and start loving it.

Ty...that's a really good price for that saw and accoutrements...you will not likely find something as nice for less money.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would just do a little research into left vs right tilt saws. Usually it's personal choice but there's a safety aspect to it as well. As a rule of thumb you never want to have your fence set so that when the blade is tilted the piece of wood is trapped under the blade and against the fence. Since the extension table in on the right side most saws will tilt left to avoid this.

I told the seller I'd take it and we're trying to setup a time to pick it up. Thanks for all the help!