Thread: Am I the only one?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I know some people who also have several and tack weld to their favorite angles.
    Just thinking out loud here...

Being the cheapskate that I am I can't imagine spending $40-50 a piece for several varigrinds to tack weld them into one angle each when it is pretty easy to make single angle ones with construction similar to the Ellsworth jig, but with the geometry you want.

I know that your time is worth something, but if we are talking about several of them you are starting to get some more efficiency in the making of them. If I were making four or five, given the price of the varigrind, I'd be getting a decent hourly return for my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    Just thinking out loud here...

Being the cheapskate that I am I can't imagine spending $40-50 a piece for several varigrinds to tack weld them into one angle each when it is pretty easy to make single angle ones with construction similar to the Ellsworth jig, but with the geometry you want.

I know that your time is worth something, but if we are talking about several of them you are starting to get some more efficiency in the making of them. If I were making four or five, given the price of the varigrind, I'd be getting a decent hourly return for my time.
    For those who want to make a simple jig themselves.
    I made these illustrations with Sketchup a few years ago. A friend was developing a cheap sharpening system.

sharpE_jig_dim_small.jpg sharpA_system_smaller.jpg

JKJ