Thread: Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one who HATES the Vari-Grind 2 sharpening jig. Ever since I got it I have a hard time getting consistent wings.
    The adjustment angle bar on the tool holder part doesn’t always tighten adequately and repeatability is a chore.
    Ever since I bought it I hare sharpening!

Quote Originally Posted by bob pfohler View Post
    Am I the only one who HATES the Vari-Grind 2 sharpening jig. Ever since I got it I have a hard time getting consistent wings.
    The adjustment angle bar on the tool holder part doesn’t always tighten adequately and repeatability is a chore.
    Ever since I bought it I hare sharpening!
    I've posted several times about the Varigrind 2. The only reason I keep it is to show people why not to buy it.

Your life might be improved by getting one or more of the older ones. I keep several set to different angles. I know some people who also have several and tack weld to their favorite angles. It might be Glenn Lucas from Ireland who uses color to simplify matching tools up to the right jig.

JKJ

Bob,

I don't seem to be having the issues you're having, but then again I mostly leave it set in one place so I have no problem getting a repeatable grind using the Varigrind-2. Maybe some blue Locktite might help with your situation.

-Karl

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I've posted several times about the Varigrind 2. The only reason I keep it is to show people why not to buy it.

Your life might be improved by getting one or more of the older ones. I keep several set to different angles. I know some people who also have several and tack weld to their favorite angles. It might be Glenn Lucas from Ireland who uses color to simplify matching tools up to the right jig.

JKJ
    What exactly are you showing people to convince them not to buy the Varigrind-2? You have both so I'm curious to know what I'm missing by not having the VG1.

Btw, have you tried using VG2 jig in the pocket arm like the VG1 (in other words without the VG2 base holder)? There are several ways to lock the VG-2 angle in place so should be easy enough to get a repeatable grind (using a fixed tool extension) just like the VG1.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Loeblein View Post
    Bob,

I don't seem to be having the issues you're having, but then again I mostly leave it set in one place so I have no problem getting a repeatable grind using the Varigrind-2. Maybe some blue Locktite might help with your situation.

-Karl
    I have gouges with different grinds so I tend to adjust the arm. Tightening the pivot arm is a pain and repeating the angle is more difficult than the original Vari Grind jig.
    I also think the lack of lateral movement makes grinding straight wings more difficult. I see one of the other post suggest using the jig in the pocket arm but the 2 doesn’t come with the same arm

6. Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I know some people who also have several and tack weld to their favorite angles.
    Just thinking out loud here...

Being the cheapskate that I am I can't imagine spending $40-50 a piece for several varigrinds to tack weld them into one angle each when it is pretty easy to make single angle ones with construction similar to the Ellsworth jig, but with the geometry you want.

I know that your time is worth something, but if we are talking about several of them you are starting to get some more efficiency in the making of them. If I were making four or five, given the price of the varigrind, I'd be getting a decent hourly return for my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    Just thinking out loud here...

Being the cheapskate that I am I can't imagine spending $40-50 a piece for several varigrinds to tack weld them into one angle each when it is pretty easy to make single angle ones with construction similar to the Ellsworth jig, but with the geometry you want.

I know that your time is worth something, but if we are talking about several of them you are starting to get some more efficiency in the making of them. If I were making four or five, given the price of the varigrind, I'd be getting a decent hourly return for my time.
    For those who want to make a simple jig themselves.
    I made these illustrations with Sketchup a few years ago. A friend was developing a cheap sharpening system.

sharpE_jig_dim_small.jpg sharpA_system_smaller.jpg

JKJ

Me as well. I guess I should get a lesson on why I shouldn't use mine by JJ?
    Seems to work for me but that might be because I'm more of a wood butcher than and ballet dancer . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bob pfohler View Post
    I have gouges with different grinds so I tend to adjust the arm. Tightening the pivot arm is a pain and repeating the angle is more difficult than the original Vari Grind jig.
    I also think the lack of lateral movement makes grinding straight wings more difficult. I see one of the other post suggest using the jig in the pocket arm but the 2 doesn’t come with the same arm
    The pocket arm is a good Wolverine accessory for grinding tools that don't have wings. Maybe a fiber, copper washer might help hold the arm in place without digging into the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

JKJ
    Wondering what you show people regarding VG2? Also, do you think the geometry on the VG2 won't let it work in the pocket holder like the VG1? Just trying to understand what I am missing by not adding a VG1 to my setup. In other words, would it be better for me to add a VG1 to my setup, or put that money toward CBN wheels?

I do have a Varigrind 1 system that I purchased maybe a year ago. I haven't used it yet since I use a platform for all of my sharpening. When talking to the tech at Craft Supplies, he told me, 'don't even think about the Varigrind 2'. I took his word. I do need to get it set up for play dates for those who are used to that system and don't know how to platform sharpen.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I do have a Varigrind 1 system that I purchased maybe a year ago. I haven't used it yet since I use a platform for all of my sharpening. When talking to the tech at Craft Supplies, he told me, 'don't even think about the Varigrind 2'. I took his word. I do need to get it set up for play dates for those who are used to that system and don't know how to platform sharpen.

robo hippy
    Besides using up less of the grinding stone width, did the tech say what else was wrong with the VG2? Like I've said before, I can use my VG2 in my pocket arm like a VG1, but I simply prefer the VG2 base because it's extremely quick and dead simple to use to sharpen my Ellsworth type gouges using only one hand.

Just wanted to see if you might know of any specific cons while waiting on somebody like JKJ with first hand knowledge to explain what I am not seeing about the VG2.

Karl I too am interested in this as I use mine exclusively to sharpen all my bowl gouges? Maybe I just go used to using tools with bad grinds?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

The tech did not elaborate. I would guess that if you learned to use the 2 first you could 'get used to it'. Not sure though. If your tools cut, you must be doing some thing right. Probably best way to find out is to try some one else's tools, with a similar grind and see if there is any difference. You can get a bunch of different grinds with an Ellsworth type jig just by adjusting how far out the tool protrudes, and how much sweep/side to side you do when sharpening.

robo hippy

Good advise, thanks Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    The tech did not elaborate. I would guess that if you learned to use the 2 first you could 'get used to it'. Not sure though. If your tools cut, you must be doing some thing right. Probably best way to find out is to try some one else's tools, with a similar grind and see if there is any difference. You can get a bunch of different grinds with an Ellsworth type jig just by adjusting how far out the tool protrudes, and how much sweep/side to side you do when sharpening.

robo hippy
    Pete