Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: insulation above workshop

Cry once...

My advice would be to go with bats. If you put blown in above a drop ceiling with the grid and tiles like you have it will be a mess to access your ceiling and you will be constantly dealing with dust and fuzz. Plus you better hope that you don’t have a leak as that would also be messy.

I just recently insulated and lined my shop. It's still a work in progress. Heat will be hot water in the floor when I get it hooked up. However I applied vapor barrier over the tin in the walls, and then R-19 kraft faced fiberglass. In the ceiling I went with blown in fiberglass. It's roughly 15" or a little more. That should be about R-49. My walls and ceiling are lined with the same tin that's over the outside except it's all white. However the bottom 4' is lined with 3/4" OSB for durability. We "book cased" the walls for the horizontal support between post's. My posts and trusses are 8' on center. I went with roughly 15" in the ceiling. My ceiling is 14' by the way. I used high bay LED lights and love them. I never wanted to be heard saying that I wish I had more light. I would have serious reservations about putting insulation directly on ceiling panels. Especially blown in. Fiberglass bats might work. Currently running conduit for the electric needs. Nothing is inside the walls except insulation.

His pole barn is probably not designed for enough load to be able to frame in a ceiling, so a drop ceiling is probably his only option, and they make special batts that fit suspended ceilings. They are actual 2'x4', and fit tightly together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    .. they make special batts that fit suspended ceilings. They are actual 2'x4', and fit tightly together.
    Yes, that's the standard way to insulate a drop ceiling and has been for decades, including when I was in the business back in the late 1980s
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...