Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Self Isolation

Andrew, please tell your wife that over the past week, I thought I was going to die. It was THAT bad and I didn't have the pneumonia portion that really is killing folks. (because I could breath on my own, I also didn't get the privilege of a test so I'm not going to know for sure that I had Covid-19, but there's no question in my mind anyway) If she really loves her family....she'll let them be apart. It's hard. But we are fortunate to live in a time where we have so many different ways to be together without being in the same place. It will only take one person in the group to get exposed and infected somehow to cause a major family disaster if "being physically with" isn't avoided. That one person may not even know they are spreading it, too. There has been clear evidence for almost a month now that Covid-19 is quickly and easily spread by folks who are asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic. A lot of the big group exposures seen on the news are a result of that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Andrew, please tell your wife that over the past week, I thought I was going to die. It was THAT bad and I didn't have the pneumonia portion that really is killing folks. (because I could breath on my own, I also didn't get the privilege of a test so I'm not going to know for sure that I had Covid-19, but there's no question in my mind anyway) If she really loves her family....she'll let them be apart. It's hard. But we are fortunate to live in a time where we have so many different ways to be together without being in the same place. It will only take one person in the group to get exposed and infected somehow to cause a major family disaster if "being physically with" isn't avoided. That one person may not even know they are spreading it, too. There has been clear evidence for almost a month now that Covid-19 is quickly and easily spread by folks who are asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic. A lot of the big group exposures seen on the news are a result of that.
    Thanks Jim. I believe you 100%. I'm sorry you got so sick. I'm grateful your feeling better. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Some people, my wife included, put emotions over science. I can't say she's wrong because I love her. If I tell her your story she may want to go hug the kids more! We have family overseas that she face times daily so that's great. We have 2 grandkids in Singapore that stay with us every summer, now that's cancelled. She's really scared right now. In some ways this is bringing us closer, but very hard on our relationship.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 04-05-2020 at 5:40 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Glad you are doing better Jim. Any idea where you were exposed?

To what you said Jim about spreading it without knowing you have it until many have been exposed. While thus far no one in my county has it (as far as we currently know) the adjacent county now has 3 cases. The last one community spread of the 3. A 20 year old male who attended a party on the 21st with 50-100 other attendees. Then another party on the 27th of March. I don't know when they showed symptoms or were actually tested. It was announced on April 3rd that he was a positive case. Without a doubt he exposed potentially many others. A co-worker lives really close to where the initial party was held. He said the parents allowed the party to happen so they share blame as well. This sort of behavior is reckless and shows blatant disregard for others.

Glad you are better Jim. So far no one I know has been sick but it is scary for us folks in your 70's.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Glad you are doing better Jim. Any idea where you were exposed?
    It's pretty impossible to know that, Ronald. Even with minimal outside contact, there are still opportunities for anyone to get exposed. We are careful because Professor Dr. SWMBO has asthma, but our older daughter works in a food market (not right now because of my sickness...she can't go back until the 20th) and our younger daughter is an essential employee for the restaurant she is employed by...back-of-house doing the accounting, but fortunately in isolation. It's also her internship so thankfully, those hours have continued despite front-of-house being closed. We don't go out other than to pick up food or pharma.
    --

Glad to hear you're still with us Jim. My bride and I have been self isolated and working from home for a couple weeks now. I suspect that will continue for another two at least. Other than a weekly trip to the grocery store and one she makes to pick up the mail for her office we're hermits. The scary part for me is the fact that if you catch it, you caught it two weeks ago.

We're stocked up on the essentials (Groceries, TP, Bourbon) and plan on following Dr. Birx suggestion to just stay home for a couple weeks. The weather has been getting better and we have plenty of yard work to do. Our neighborhood has pretty good sized lots so social distancing is no problem.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Glad to here you are doing well now Jim.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Vancouver, Canada. I'm semi retired, meaning I only work from 6 am to 11 pm.
    Saturday night, for the first time in many weeks, my 21 year old son went to a friend's place; ended up needing to be picked up 75 Km away. I made him put on a mask and gloves before he got into the car. He doesn't get it, he fought with me all the way home. Thinks my careful forays for shopping is the same as him house-hopping visiting.
    I won't let my wife go out at all, she gets Pneumonia at least 3 times a year.
    I go shopping, but wash my hands, wear gloves, and spray with bleach compounds. It's hard to isolate (in my case) because of the impending holiday season, but we're trying.
    Most of my kids live either in California or Israel, so Zoom, WhatsApp are the standard to visiting, and my local daughter had a serious workplace injury about 3 weeks ago and is confined to the hospital for the near term. Naturally, we can't visit her.
    Jim, I'm glad you're feeling better.
    Regards to all, and stay safe.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Thanks, Aaron.

You can celebrate the holiday together but separately. You're family. Yea, the food side is a bit different, but the ritual can still be followed. It may even make for some interesting conversation.
    --

Hi Aaron, time to stop being in contact with your son, he could be a symptomatic and infect you and your wife.

Be safe, I love Vancouver....
    Rod

Ron, you're right. I stay away from him, but sometimes it's because I need to distance myself from excessive youth LOL!!
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Ron, you're right. I stay away from him, but sometimes it's because I need to distance myself from excessive youth LOL!!
    Any son of mine who did that would not only get thrown out of the car then and there, he would be banned from the ranch. You have my deepest sympathies.

23 days.

California was the first state to enact the stay at home orders, and Los Angeles was the first City to to do so. I am hopeful that we were ahead of the curve on this and will come out better and faster than other locations.

Our Governor officially gave up on the Federal Government, and California arranged to have local manufacturers supervise the manufacture of PPEs. It was announced that we will have 200 million N95 Masks within a few weeks, some of which will be arriving this week. We have also arranged for Ventilators on our own. We have the 5th largest economy in the World, so we can afford this. The Governor would like a surplus to export and help neighboring states.

I have cleaned out closets, organized music, cleaned up the shop, and sharpened chisels. I may have to make a run to the hardwood supplier to get some Oak to make something. Is that essential? Mentally I think so.

This is like Prison without Soul Train and dominoes and with better television.
    Regards,

Tom