Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: #7 going rates

Parting comment on this thread: When you're firm about features, you paint yourself into a corner and end up paying more. That was me. I wanted a Type 6a, large adjustment wheel, flat/not ogee frog, smooth bottom, no pitting. Of the four 607s on the site now, none of them match my criteria. I should have specified that in my earlier post. So I was destined to pay more when "mine" popped up. I was having a pretty good year business-wise, and I still had that L-N price point as my standard. So what's the max I "overpaid" –– $100? $150? I doubt it's that high. There were no other planes on the site like that before or after for months.

This might sound defensive, but I don't mean it that way. I'm thrilled with the plane and I am happy with its price. If someone pulls out one like it for $80 I'll eat my hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Parting comment on this thread: When you're firm about features, you paint yourself into a corner and end up paying more. That was me. I wanted a Type 6a, large adjustment wheel, flat/not ogee frog, smooth bottom, no pitting. Of the four 607s on the site now, none of them match my criteria. I should have specified that in my earlier post. So I was destined to pay more when "mine" popped up. I was having a pretty good year business-wise, and I still had that L-N price point as my standard. So what's the max I "overpaid" –– $100? $150? I doubt it's that high. There were no other planes on the site like that before or after for months.

This might sound defensive, but I don't mean it that way. I'm thrilled with the plane and I am happy with its price. If someone pulls out one like it for $80 I'll eat my hat.
    Bob,

At the end of the day it's your money and your time. There is no shame in spending a little more to get what you want instead of settling for something cheaper. Say you bought one for $100 or even less, how much time will you spend making it what you want?

Could you have saved some money? Perhaps. But how much longer would you have looked for a plane that meets your criteria?

It sounds like you are happy with your plane, and that's all that matters! As long as it brings you joy and didn't put you in debt or make you sick to your stomach every time you look at it I don't feel you overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Both look good! Now....how about the all-important shot of shavings being made?
    Attachment 428927
    Stanley No. 7c, type 9
    IMG_20200327_085757983.jpg

I promise I didn't take shavings off the bench and put them in the plane.

Bob,

+1 to what Jason wrote. From the criteria you wrote, I can see why you had to pay a lot. One like you describe does not come up all that often, and a lot of folks want that kind of plane.

I got a good price on my combination plane, but might have done better by buying a complete plane with all the irons at one time when I first started looking, but the price of such was a bit daunting. Looking at what nice complete sets cost now on the auction site, I got a real bargain. Some sellers are nuts IMHO, and they think some of the combination planes are worth $3 to $5 for each year of age (more than the $1 per year of age Jim mentioned for the bench planes.)

Like you I had criteria: irons with virtually no corrosion on the backs, all of the parts present (except one part you almost never see...that part is very high dollar due to collectors, one such part recently sold for more than my complete set of irons some have sold for as much as my complete plane with irons...and I would probably never use that part anyway), mechanically in great shape with very little corrosion, etc. Mine does have petena and is pretty dark, which I will work on with metal polish.

However, it took me over FOUR years to get all of the parts! If I had done what you did that plane would already have been restored and I would have probably used it. As it is, it is on my desk now and waiting for it's turn to be restored. Thus, I think what you did was smarter than what I did to get my plane. (I'm pushing toward being an old coot, but I believe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks, so there may be hope for me yet.)

So BTDT. What I am saying is I think you did well, and I think Jason also did well. You both have the plane you want and I think Jason's plane will work very well for him also.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-27-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Jason, COOL! You are on your way!

I also liked the way Jim's plane looked after he restored it, and as always, Steven gets his planes taking great shavings pretty much within a short time after he buys it.

Seeing the old tools come back to life is always great I think. There is just something about that which always seems neat to me and I really enjoy seeing folks restoring a fine old tool. Bob sounds like his plane is an absolute winner too. I have a 608 type 3 that needs to be brought back to life, but it has a long row to hoe. Eventually it will receive some TLC. (I have nothing against the new high quality tools and sometimes you have to go that route. I don't really know why, but I just would rather have and use one of the old timers.)

At any rate again "Ya Did Good!"

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-27-2020 at 11:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    When you're firm about features, you paint yourself into a corner and end up paying more.
    If you got what you want and it didn't cause financial distress or have the wife put you in the dog house, it doesn't really matter. Sometimes our desires for a particular item leads us to 'go crazy,' BTDT and likely went back for more.

One like you describe does not come up all that often, and a lot of folks want that kind of plane.
    If you have ever watched American Pickers, Mike Wolfe often says the time to buy it is when you see it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks to all the unfounded bad press/reputation from forums such as this one I bought type 19s for cheap, 3 through 8. They all came flat and rip half a thou shavings after I sharpened the blades. OP, take advantage of the hype around the older pre-30's planes that are grossly overpriced and usually warped. Instead enjoy a nice flat, ready to use type 19 for a fraction of the price!

P1050595.JPGP1050596.JPG

(All with OEM rosewood totes/knobs except the #5 which I made them from some rosewood I had.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    the time to buy it is when you see it.

jtk
    I subscribe to that way of thinking as well. Funny thing is I find that as soon as I pull the trigger on that hard to come by item about 3 more will show up in rapid succession, usually for less than I paid - sometimes in better shape. Can be irksome.... Case in point, it took me over a year to find a complete/non basket case Keen Kutter K7-C on the auction site. Within the last month 2 more have been listed and looks like there is one currently running.