Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazon no longer shipping non-essential items until April 21st

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    See https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/3/22...virus-covid-19 for a story on this. Also, take a look at just about any Prime item at Amazon and you'll see they are all set for delivery on April 21st.
    I ordered an item last Thursday that showed a delivery date of April 21...it arrived yesterday. I think they've shifted everything to a "under-promise, over-deliver" model.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I noticed some Amazon orders taking a couple of extra days. I have an order of plastic squeeze bottles coming today, ordered late last week. The bottles could be considered essential to some. Maybe Amazon found out I was making hand sanitizer and needed more bottles to give away.

I wondered if the delay in deliveries is because of ground shipping vs air, or perhaps fewer staff within Amazon and in the delivery chain. Regardless of the reason, it's pretty low on my radar.

JKJ

Everyone is home and shopping from home. They’re overwhelmed. At least it’s moving. We’re all spoiled by two-day everything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Amazon is no longer shipping any "non-essential" items until April 21st at earliest. I don't quite understand this as none of the essential items are in stock. They don't have any TP, hand sanitizer, or disinfecting wipes in stock and no backorders that I can see.

There is some question if they will refund all Prime subscriptions in part or completely because of this. What good is a Prime subscription if items takes four weeks to get? My father would like an HDMI to DVI adapter to make his work at home easier, but good luck finding one right now.
    That seems strange when the announced just last week they were hiring several thousand people.....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Amazon's currently posted guidance:

https://blog.aboutamazon.com/company...AH8HHXPCCPCHYR
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yesterday my wife agreed I could buy that rifle scope I wanted and while I was on Amazon, we need a bath brush. Scope will be here Thursday but every bath brush I looked at - and I looked at a lot of them - estimated April 21. I guess it's all in what you consider "essential".

Blog Entries
    A lot of folks would calm down a lot faster if people would stop posting inflammatory rumors as fact. Anyone who wants to claim that 90% of our toilet paper comes from China or that martial law is imminent, please put a link in to your source for this "data" .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A lot of folks would calm down a lot faster if people would stop posting inflammatory rumors as fact. Anyone who wants to claim that 90% of our toilet paper comes from China or that martial law is imminent, please put a link in to your source for this "data" .
    Second that!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The facts of my bath-brush-buying experience are as I stated them and IMO at least partially confirm the OP. The sky is not falling and 90% of our TP is made in the US but we can reasonably expect some inconveniences that we had not anticipated.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 03-23-2020 at 5:42 PM.

Didn't bother to read everyone's responses for now, but about 4 hours ago I ordered TP that'll be here the 27th, Q-tips, coffee filters and silly putty...

What I'VE heard about 'essential items' is that Amazon is giving them priority over 'fluff' items as to their warehouses being restocked; necessities first, fluff last...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I called last week when my prime order was scheduled to take 6 days. They said that a lot of warehouse/fulfillment locations are slow or closed due to self quarantining or social distancing. Basically they have low staff because of COVID19. Expect all orders to be delayed.

About 30 minutes ago I ordered some bench casters and they’ll be here Friday. Everything is not April 21st.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    Yesterday my wife agreed I could buy that rifle scope I wanted and while I was on Amazon, we need a bath brush. Scope will be here Thursday but every bath brush I looked at - and I looked at a lot of them - estimated April 21. I guess it's all in what you consider "essential".
    Some of their choices are strange. I can buy a vibrating hole plate for cutting out a junction box, but I can't buy a drill bit for fishing the wall (both in stock.) And a parts cleaner is April 21(!) All of these things are "essential".

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Green Bay, WI https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...l-of-the-world
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Some stuff ships direct from Amazon warehouses, other stuff shipped from the myriad suppliers affiliated with Amazon. What I understood was that they were prioritizing "essential" items at the warehouses and asking suppliers who previously sent "non-essential" items to the warehouse to be shipped to customers to ship them directly instead. Not all small suppliers are set up to do this and it is more expensive for them, hence the delays.

I'm not so concerned about extended delivery dates although I placed an order yesterday and everything is supposed to arrive Wednesday through Friday. My bigger beef is they supposedly aren't tolerating price gouging. That's nothing but hot air. 4 standard rolls of Charmin $18.43. amazon.com/Charmin-Bathroom-Tissue-Strong-Sheets/dp/B079H255XY/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2TUIH8KE4YJ14&dchild=1&keywords=to ilet+paper&qid=1585005060&refinements=p_89%3ACharm in%7CCottonelle%7CQuilted+Northern&rnid=2528832011 &sprefix=toilet%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-8&swrs=ADF4EA95D996E76E7F7593A9CCB9CAFA
    Wife was going to order Campbell's Soup the other day. 4 10 oz cans $32.xx. Disappointing that they aren't booting third party sellers that attempt to take advantage of the situation.