Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Progressive Lens Safety Glasses

Arnold, you actually make a good point. I have a non-prescription version of "computer" progressive glasses that I bought on a whim from Foster-Grant and they have really solved any challenge I have in my office...and my screen is farther than 20" from my eyes most of the time. This format might be very useful in the shop because we tend to be concentrating on things that are within a foot and three feet from our face most of the time. If you're not used to progressives, the learning curve is simply because you have to learn to actually move your face up and down, "sometimes microscopically" to get best focus and moving it side to side is also required to get best focus on objects that are lateral to you. With bifocals, you do it kinda in one step. With progressives, there are no steps...it's continuous. Your brain will adapt, but not as fast as with bifocals.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm late to the trough on this but I have worn progressives in both "street" and safety glasses for 10 + years. Bifocals in the beginning but trifocals now. No issues. I wouldn't go back. In my work in awkward positions traditional trifocals would be a pain. When you have to get your head tilted a specific way it just doesn't work. As far as safety glasses over regular glasses. Try that all day long all week long. You would quickly be ready for one pair only. If you only occasionally need them that might be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I'm late to the trough on this but I have worn progressives in both "street" and safety glasses for 10 + years. Bifocals in the beginning but trifocals now. No issues. I wouldn't go back. In my work in awkward positions traditional trifocals would be a pain. When you have to get your head tilted a specific way it just doesn't work. As far as safety glasses over regular glasses. Try that all day long all week long. You would quickly be ready for one pair only. If you only occasionally need them that might be an option.
    Try some of the better ones (when they become available.) There's also the face shield, with the better ones you might not even notice you have it on. The point is, and this applies to the woodworking shop, that changing lenses can result in changes of angle perception that in the wood shop, particularly when working with machines, can be flat out dangerous.

I won't even get into the changes in vertical field of vision that progressives make. (The OP actually _wanted_ them, although I never would.)

Doug, I believe there's a "dual cheater" type safety glasses out there that have the close vision at both the top and the bottom with "regular" vision in the middle specifically for folks who find themselves both over and under whatever they are working on...I know I've seen them somewhere.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Tried progressive lenses once (non-safety). First time I wore them to work, they tried to kill me: went down a flight of stairs and couldn't see my feet. But the worst thing from a woodworking POV is that they make every piece of lumber look warped.
    That's true, but you get used to both of those problems quickly enough.
    I use computer glasses as safety glasses as I don't need to see anything in the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    That's true, but you get used to both of those problems quickly enough.
    For some arbitrarily large value of "quickly".

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I use computer glasses as safety glasses as I don't need to see anything in the distance.
    Yup. At last count, I have two pairs of my distance prescription, one pair of close prescription (bed reading only), and five pairs of the intermediate prescription: one at each computer, one in the garage, and a spare.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.