Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

23 Mar 2020

Greetings,
    No real time in the shop. Plenty of time working at the day job and working on things around the house to keep healthy. We are now in quarantine and I am required to work from home as directed by my employer. We are all required to work from home until further notice. I come off of oncall in a few hours, then I can sleep without being disturbed. I hope all of you are well and I pray we all get through this without any health issues.

That’s it for me, so what did you do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

7C23FFE3-C82C-4B38-B327-7CFD11DF53F0.jpg
    I have been trying to clean my barn/shop. Seems like I am just moving stuff around. Making a little progress
    here is a photo of a bench, made from a piece of repurposed bowling alley. I haven’t been able to work at this
    bench for 6-8 months. I don’t know why the photos came out so dark it is actually a pretty bright place to work.
    Slow & steady wins the race.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kevin nee; 03-23-2020 at 6:27 AM.

Dennis, I hope that you get that needed sleep!

My shop activities are a little more focused on my own projects for the moment since technically, the business is non-essential. I can still support any ETSY orders or "Internet/Mail Order" type stuff, however, so one of my clients for small CNC type work has a few things for me to work on in my copious free time. I did some of that last week and am shipping things to him today...he sent the boxes with return labels as we mutually agreed that him picking up work and dropping off material just wasn't going to be a good idea. The big project for the week was completing my downdraft work surface for my new auxiliary bench. It supports that function as well as general assembly and my pocket hole jig. I have some guitar work to resume, both to complete the most recent build as well as to start a new one in support of a "brotherhood build" effort in the TPDRI forum community...and that's going to be fun.

Mostly, we're hunkering down to help with the effort in slowing the virus spread; Professor Dr. SWMBO is teaching/meeting from home via video conferencing; younger daughter is taking classes via video and other remote means with minimal back-of-house work hours for the restaurant she works for (which is also her internship for credit this semester) as well as only having outside contact with her boyfriend, and older daughter is only out to work her hours in the market in town...we're doing a little cleaning/decluttering, too. Otherwise, we're slaves to Sammula the Cockatiel.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Started working making 10 windows of Plantation Shutters, 15 Shutters. I bought 430bd/ft of Basswood back in November 2019 and it's sat in a neat pile, inside my garage, until this week.

I planed the rough sawn wood to 29mm thickness, put a straight edge on each board, most 8'-10' long and finally ripped to width.

This week, I'm assembling the outer frames.

The pile in the center are my off cuts.

Slow progress on office remodel; other things have kept me busy, but I have the first prototype cabinet ready to spray finish. But the weather isn't cooperating as it's been rainy or high humidity pretty much every day, with more to come. I will spray in the garage, but want the humidity to be down near 50 at least.

I did pick up some poplar, just from menards, to do a mockup dovetailed drawer box and cabinet roll-out, so I can work on that when I have time.

Ohio is pretty much on lockdown; so I don't know how that will affect getting the rest of the material I will need. Will certainly try to have it delivered if my suppliers are even open; not sure how they fit into the essential/non-essential thing. But I have plenty of smaller things to work on if the office project has to be set aside for a while.

One thing I did spend some time on is updating my ICE (In case of Emergency) info. I handle all the bill paying and financial stuff in our household, so I keep a file with all the information someone else would need to find insurance policies, pay bills, manage all the various accounts, log in to all the necessary web sites, list of automatic payments, etc. In the past I have updated it whenever DW and I were doing major traveling and send info on how to access it to my sibs, but it seemed like a good idea to update it now, since it's been a while. Heaven forbid I should get ill, but if I were to, I doubt I'd have time to update the info then. With everything online these days, it's not a simple as it used to be. One thing that helps is good password manager software; then you only have convey one master password to give a trusted person access to all your zillions of passwords.

Stay well all!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Saturday I managed to rebuild the flower bed edging on the front of our house. I scored some fire-place rock off of Craigslist for free!
    Sunday I continued to work on my family heirloom which is an old sleigh bed, getting close to stain and being finished.
    Also managed to finish my chamfering hand plane, purchased a $12 Stanley chisel and cut the handle off for a planing iron. Works good!

Paul, I just got a call from Industrial Plywood whom I buy sheet goods from and they indicated that they are not considered essential businesses in PA and are therefore closed. That may be the same in Ohio.
    --

Spent most of the weekend trying to navigate the PA shutdown. As a machine shop, my business is "non-essential" and thus needs to be closed. But...I have two large customers that are "essential" businesses. They both have sent letters to me "requiring" our business to remain operational. Talk about a Catch-22. For the moment, the business is closed and we've filed for an exemption from the State of Pennsylvania. No response from PA yet, but my customers are e-mailing hourly asking for updates. Due to all this, I haven't made it to the woodshop all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Paul, I just got a call from Industrial Plywood whom I buy sheet goods from and they indicated that they are not considered essential businesses in PA and are therefore closed. That may be the same in Ohio.
    Jim, One of my suppliers, Baird Brothers, has a note on their web site that they are still open and operating, but no deliveries to PA due to restrictions there. I guess I will go ahead and place an order and see if it shows up... Other suppliers have no info on web site as of now.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Yes, it is and will be state by state because of how commerce is regulated...and it will likely be a moving target, too, Paul.

Lisa, I feel for you there. The state has readily admitted that this is a complex thing because of interrelationships between industries. Hopefully, you'll hear from them in a reasonable amount of time...there is a huge number of waiver requests out there which is one reason they delayed enforcement until tonight.
    --

Finally got around to building a 100W led flashlight I’ve been tinkering with for a long time. It’s definitely a flood light- not a “spot” light but I’m going to add another lens in a tube out front to convert it to a spot light.

It is insanely bright- it will light up the outside of my entire house at night including the front or rear yard. If I lived “in the woods” it would be a huge benefit over a flashlight.

3C3CCDD0-3F3D-45FC-A47E-E5CF9479B80A.jpg

A small shelf for my wife's closet. It will go under her earring racks. She told me that sometimes an earring will fall and get lost somewhere on the floor. This will catch any flotsam from the rack above. Here is the shelf after the first coat of tung oil. As I write, the second coat is curing.

Basswood shelf, cherry front, and birch sides.

closet shelf.jpg

Here it is in place:

closet shelf in place.jpg

The rack on the left she bought long ago. The one on the right I copied from the original. I didn't oil it because I was thought all the tiny crevices would take forever to buff out.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 03-23-2020 at 4:25 PM.

That's a really good idea, Bob!
    --

Happy wife. She's making us a yummy Greek salad tonight. Who got the better deal?

Late last week I began working from home. Much as I'd rather my work arrangements were more normal, I am undeniably fortunate and grateful that I'm able to continue working when so many are dealing with looming threats to their livelihoods.

Spent part of Saturday traveling to the nearby city where our daughter is in school and worked on repairing some water damage to the hardwood floor of the house. On Sunday morning we attended church online. At other times over the weekend and in the evening I've been working on getting my Stickley-ish armchair project complete. Sometimes I get in a hopeless loop, fussing with the finish in one little spot. That's where I am now, in this case one arm of the chair. Once I can make myself stop, it's a done deal, at least until the varnish cures enough for a final rub-out.
    Nearly Complete.jpg

Stay healthy, everyone.
    Chuck Taylor