Thread: Question about drawer slides

Question about drawer slides

We are almost finish with our kitchen remodel. I used these slides for the drawers https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work well and I do recommend them.

My question is, can I use them like under-mount slides. Flat and underneath the pull out trays. We made an error and I would like to find an easy fix.
    We made the pull out trays just wide enough to clear the opening between the stiles. Trouble is when the door is mounted with 110 degree Blum hinges, it narrows the opening by 3/16 of an inch. So with a door installed, the tray will not pull out.

I hope this makes sense. I am a bit frustrate at myself for not catching this sooner.

Thanks
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

I don't like the feel of sidemount slides used as undermount. When the drawer is opened the slides flex, so the drawer sags or bounces.

Blum does make a hinge which they say has "zero protrusion". By that, they mean that the opened door completely clears the cabinet opening, so it wouldn't interfere with your pullouts. It is a 155 degree hinge. It is the 71T75xx series. There are some caveats with the hinge. First, the hinge plates are still inside the cabinet, so you must have spaces between the pullouts where the hinges can fit. Second, there are some interactions between the overlay and the protrusion. You should study the specs carefully before you conclude it will fit your situation.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 03-23-2020 at 10:15 AM.

If possible, I would recommend replacing the 110 degree Blum hinges with their 155 degree versions. Those will clear the case, and the pull out trays will slide out if the doors are opened wide enough.

Those soft close KV slides do work really well, but are not designed to be installed flat. I would expect their maximum weight rating capacity to be 10 lbs to 15 lbs in that orientation, so I would not use them that way.

There are a few reasons you shouldn't do that. There is some side-to-side sway in most side mount drawer slides, and like Jamie mentions and they will sag. The also won't hold the specified weight in a flat position. Think of a piece of wood, you can have some, or a lot of deflection (bend) on the flat side vs the edge (almost none). Most likely the slides won't last long if used in a horizontal position as they will defect and maybe start to bend.

There are bottom mount drawer slides that have an L mount bracket to help provide strength for use as under-mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Gabor View Post
    If possible, I would recommend replacing the 110 degree Blum hinges with their 155 degree versions. Those will clear the case, and the pull out trays will slide out if the doors are opened wide enough.

Those soft close KV slides do work really well, but are not designed to be installed flat. I would expect their maximum weight rating capacity to be 10 lbs to 15 lbs in that orientation, so I would not use them that way.
    I was going to suggest the 155 degree Blum hinges as well. I have used them for the same purpose as the OP, and the sliding shelves will pull out when the door is opened 90 degrees or more. The door does not have to be opened more than the minimal amount that one would expect.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Those are good slides, I just hope you didn't pay that much for them

I would not install bottom mount with those